Muller Orphanage

Discussion in 'Institutions' started by Sandiep, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Whilst looking for my daughter in laws family I came across one of them in a Muller Orphans home..............I looked them up online and found they were still functioning
    so on offchance I contacted them and for a fee they have sent me all the info on him and his 2 siblings..........including birth certificates parents marriage and death certs reasons for them being orphans bit grisly father murdered wife and committed suicide! I had fortunately already found this part...........but the amount of information was definitely worth paying for.

Findem, LeslieS, Bay Horse and 5 others like this.
  2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Sometimes it does pay to dig deep in your pockets. You were very lucky to have all that info sent to you :)

3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Certainly was...........I spent £15 but I got 6 certificates why they were there and where they went to on leaving filled out the family life.

Findem, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Well to have bought all those certs alone would have cost £55.50p so that is a great result + you got extra info too. :)

Sandiep likes this.
  5. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

We got information from Muller's (Ashley Down, Bristol) as well. My grandmother put her daughters in the orphanage after her first husband died. He fell off a ladder and she was pregnant with her sixth child. The girls remained there for six years and grandmother was supposed to collect them on several occasions, she just did not turn up. We were given copies of many letters and information that we never could have got elsewhere. Grandmother had quite a bit of compensation money from her husband's accident and when the money ran out she married my grandfather but still didn't pick up the girls.
    I do know that as a young child my grandmother had been sent to the workhouse and then into service aged 10!! Where would she have learnt her mothering skills?
    Muller's had a good ethos and a good reputation. Mind you the aunts always said, they hated the food and there was often creatures in their porridge. my mother was born nearly 15 years later. I think grandmother had worked things out by then.
    How I treasure reading her words and getting such a clear picture on what was going on with the family.

LeslieS, Sandiep, Bay Horse and 4 others like this.
  6. LeslieS

LeslieS Well-Known Member

I too have received copies of documents related to two young females relatives from that home in Bristol. Fascinating information and worth the small cost.

This happened in 1870's - Childrens mother died, father remarried, he died 2nd wife remarried. At fathers funeral an uncle said two of the girls should be sent to the workhouse :eek::mad: but g'mother said they must try to get them in to an orphanage. 2nd wife and new husband kept two of the male children, 2 girls were sent to Bristol (ages 5 and 15). Three years later a g'mother "desired to have the girls near her" :) and so they were sent for, Horray! :)

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. LeslieS

LeslieS Well-Known Member

I got two birth certs, an application for a school level of education certificate, comprehensive account of why the girls had been admitted detailing the circumstances and providing dates/reasons for mother and father’s death, several letters from family explaining their reasons for applying. Also letter signed by all the girls aunts and uncles agreeing they will accept them back home should anything unruly occur which gave all their addresses and occupations. Even a letter from Richmond Hospital (Surrey) confirming girls had been successfully immunised, plus much more.

GrannyBarb, Sis and Chimp like this.