My Brick Wall, Emanuel Evans

Discussion in 'Denbighshire' started by Heather DeFer, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Hello!

My 5X Great Grandfather is Emanuel Evans. He lived in Trefdraeth, Anglesey for most of his life, and I am trying to figure out where he was born and who his parents were. I know a lot about his time on Anglesey. He was a Calvinistic Methodist Minister, one of the first, and he is in many books. Zero mention of his parents however. The only mention of his early years is on his marriage record. He married Elizabeth Jones, of Llansannan Parish on 8 Aug 1785, in her parish. He is listed as a bachelor of Llanrhaidr. I know that he was born around 1763, as was Elizabeth.

Their first child was Robert Evans, born in 1787 in Amlwch, Anglesey. Emanuel is listed as a miner at that time, but started preaching within a few years. It is possible that Emanuel attended or knew someone that was at Bala Methodist College - as there is record of his sermons from 1802-1804 that were given to the National Library of Wales by the college.

Don't know if his name would still have been patronymic at that time, but seems possible. I haven't been able to find a birth record for him anywhere, for a surname Evans or Emanuel.

Can anyone help me break this wall down? I would so appreciate it!

Heather (Evans) DeFer

Bay Horse and GrannyBarb like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Sorry - questions time! :D

Do you have his death record? If so, does it give his age at death?

I was just wondering how you know that they were born about 1763 - is there a possibility that he was much older than Elizabeth?

I ask as there is a baptism for an Emanuel EVANS in Guilsfield, Montgomeryshire on 12th October 1740 to parents Robert and Eliza. As Guilsford is just 15 miles from Llanrhaidr (I think...) it could be a possibility.

Just a thought....

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Emanuel passed away at the family home in Trefdraeth, Anglesey on 31 Aug 1836. Age at death was 73 years old. Thanks for checking!

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Bay Horse like this.
  4. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Quite possibly, his name was patrynomic, so we could also be looking for a last name of Emanuel. In the surrounding areas.

Heather

5. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Sorry for another reply, but the record you found for an Emanuel would have him at 23 when my Emanuel was born...could possibly be his father?

6. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Going to attempt some patronymic searching for Emanuel later today...so I need to look for his parents with the last name of Emanuel. Any clue as to first name? Would it have been Evan? Would the name Robert also factor in since that is the name of Emanuel's first born son? Looking for a little guidance with the patronymic naming system. Thank you!

Heather

7. Daft Bat

I would say yes as naming patterns usually follow the eldest boy being named after the father's father. :)

8. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Thank you! Here's hoping...May connect with that birth record you found a while ago, with the father's name being Robert...

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  9. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

It looks as if both Emanuel & Elizabeth may have left Wills. There is a Death Duty Index record for an Emanuel EVANS of Anglesey in 1840 and one for Elizabeth EVANS in 1845 at Amlwich, Anglesey. If this is your Emanuel, there may just be some clues in his Will.

The parish registers of Llanrhaiadr, Denbighshire are available to view on FMP and there are certainly quite a few EVANS baptisms at around the time your Emanuel was born using his burial record as a guide, although I cannot find one for Emanuel - this is always assuming I have the correct place as my Welsh geography is pretty dire.

Janet

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Looked at both Emanuel and Elizabeth's death bond, no other information about their past. It seems so strange that such a family/faith filled man would leave no trace of his past.

11. Daft Bat

He probably did... it is just waiting to be discovered..... somewhere... :headbang:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

So very true. And the little headbanging emoji is exactly how I feel right now!!! Haha. Thank you!

Daft Bat likes this.
  13. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Can someone pull up Emanuel and Elizabeth (written as Eliz) Evans marriage bann? I see it on Findmypast, but do not have a membership. Was in 1785 in Llansannan, Denbighshire. Wondering if the actual bann has either of their parents names on it.

14. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Its the actual marriage and no parents names are given. Did you know that one of the subscriptions for FMP is for a month, maybe it would pay you to take that out as they seem to have parish registers for the area your Evans/Jones are in. Just a suggestion.:)

MollyMay likes this.
  15. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

It does say Emanuel was of the parish of Llanrhaidr*, Elizabeth of this parish (Llansannan)
    The date was 8th August and one of the witnesses was Thomas Jones, the other a serial signer on the marriage entries, so probably a church warden or the like.
    It also states that the banns were read on the 3 previous Sundays

On the original the name is written Llanrhaid with a superscript r (I dont know how to do that on a keyboard;)) upload_2018-7-28_8-14-39.png

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  16. Heather DeFer

Heather DeFer New Member

Thank you! I have looked at Llanrhaeadr (modern spelling) parish records with no luck. Will continue the search! I wonder if Thomas Jones was Elizabeth's father...

Heather