My Grandma's illegitimate child

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by eric kingsley, Sep 27, 2019.

1. eric kingsley

eric kingsley Active Member

From FreeBMD it looks like Uncle Bill died in Bedford in Sept 1972 aged 76. I've been puzzling about where William and Sarah's youngest daughter born 1926 that Grizel mentioned here #207 was on September 29th when the 1939 registration was carried out. I looked at possible references in the Register and there are a couple for girls aged about 13/14 that indicate she could have been on a school residential trip of some kind or possibly at a boarding school. I'll look for her and her sister while I wait for William & Sarah's marriage certificate to arrive.

The mystery of William's twin Regimental numbers, 2401 and 931134, has been solved thanks to very helpful people at greatwarforum.org. People here may know all this already.

Although it was possible to acquire another number by transfer to another unit or battalion this does not apply in his case. The entire Territorial Force was renumbered in 1917 and he was given a new 6 digit number. The numbering of members of the British armed forces sounds arcane and it was entirely possible for many members to have the same number because the regiments used the same range of numbers. Once the war intensified and thousands were dying people had to be moved around frequently. Duplicate numbers caused confusion and mistakes and is a part of the reason why the Territorial Force was renumbered, I think. The 931134 number places him probably in the 291 Brigade RFA which was headquartered in Woolwich, near his mother.

There's no evidence that he was gassed and this part of the family story may be wrong, his condition is described with the terms "sickness", "deafness" and "disability". I think as a gunner he may have been deafened. But, it's quite possible he was gassed because in 1940 the warehouse holding military records in Arnside Street in Walworth was hit by an incendiary and the majority of records were burned. So I'll never know!

2. eric kingsley

eric kingsley Active Member

This is my last post on this thread. Thanks to everyone who helped me locate Uncle Bill, especially Jellylegs.

The marriage certificate for William and Sarah turned up eventually. They're not kidding about it being "Second Class Post". It is attached. I was hoping that one of his identifiable relatives would have been a witness on the cert but this is not the case. Maybe "A Robinson" was a mate from the Army. What struck me as interesting is that he had to name someone as "father" to fill the box on the register and make it look like everyone elses's. He names Charles Walter Clements Garrard as his father. This was actually his uncle, the child of Agnes Hannah and George Edward born before his mother, Agnes Sarah.

It looks like Charles Walter (and his wife Laura who died quite young) might have been looking after him for at least some of the years between his birth in 1896 and his appearance in the 1911 census at Charles' household in 24 Harden Street where William is identified as his "nephew" (which would have been true). But William doesn't appear on Charles' 1901 census. Maybe they hid him in the cupboard. It might have been Charles Walter who played the part of his "father" James Edward Garrard (who never existed) when Agnes Sarah registered his birth in Ipswich in 1896. Charles Walter would have been 25 then which makes him a better candidate than John James who would only have been 17.

I notice threads aren't closed on this forum. Fair enough. They are just left to slowly fade away...
    marriage_cert_cropped.png

Grizel, Sis, GrannyBarb and 3 others like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Sometimes, when folk trawl the interwebby looking for a long lost ancestor, the spiderbots have done their job and will bring up a link to the forum where said ancestor has been mentioned. By not closing the thread, it allows the explorer to join the forum and post a reply. ;)

Jellylegs, Nightryder, Grizel and 6 others like this.