My Great Great Grandfather James Boyd

Discussion in 'County Antrim' started by Bob, May 8, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

My great great grandfather, James Boyd was born c 1811 in Castlegore Co Antrim and died there in 1873. I can verify his death from Government Records Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) and his birth year by working back using age quoted in this record. I don't know who his parents were but he had a sibling, Daniel. James occupation was as a farmer and this is confirmed in the Griffiths Valuation 1847 - 1864. His religious denomination was Church of Ireland. He married Margaret (surname not known) born c 1816 around 1842 (based on first child being born in 1843). She died in Belfast aged 95 in 1911. They had seven children in total. I have visited the Public Records Office N I (PRONI) and can find no Church records for the Parish of Connor that would have included the township of Castlegore. The Ulster Historical Foundationhave confirmed that these records were destroyed in a fire at PRO Dublin in 1922. Can anyone suggest how I might track back beyond 1811 without these vital records.

2. she04

she04 Active Member

Maybe if you visit the newspaper library in Belfast, it might have a family announcement of b/m/d. The newspaper library holds all copies of newspapers ever printed in the UK, Ireland included. X x

3. Bob

Bob New Member

Thank you for your response. Would that be the Linenhall Library in Belfast. I shall be going across to Belfast in September and will give it a try then

4. she04

she04 Active Member

There are two, I need yo make sure n look it up for you. There is the main library that holds some newspapers n the main newspaper library only for newspapers. X

5. she04

she04 Active Member

Right found out for you the following - Belfast library on library street hold most of the oldest newspaper "the newsletter" as letter form from 1757. when it became printed as a proper newspaper some copies are missing and can be found at newspaper library at linenhall, which is where all other newspapers are kept too x

Sis likes this.
  6. Bob

Bob New Member

Once again thank you very much for your response. I'm making a list of the things that I need to do when next over. Funny enough I have a sister who lives in Carrickfergus. Cheers Bob

she04 likes this.
  7. she04

she04 Active Member

Oh Bob, that is interesting. Carrickfergus a small place n lovely. Good luck in your investigating searches x x

8. emma rogers

emma rogers New Member

Hi bob my gg grandmother was Agnes Boyd her father was Daniel Boyd, I think your James and Daniel were brothers.

Ma-dotcom likes this.