1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery of persons in George Evans Grave

Discussion in 'Lancashire' started by bettyespana, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Ann Moss married someone else...Samuel ?. They just all appeared on the same page on Freebmd. And that particular Thomas Nuttall married Ann Wright. So not connected to you. At least I don't think so. So many Thomas Nuttalls.

2. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

Well,well that is a revelation.:cool::D
    Thank you once again,& sorry if it held up your polishing.
    You really are a star:)

Sis, Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

It all got polished eventually. Well mostly. The rest can wait.
    Glad to be of service. Although I really didn't think that last marriage would turn up. I was about to give up and then thought As Alice was still young she may have married again and then Thomas Nuttall showed himself out of nowhere.
    That grave must be awfully full. :ghost:

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  4. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

I quite agree it must be awfully full.:ghost:

I was amazed when Thomas Nuttall decided to show up however you caught
    up with him very nicely.

Kind regards
    Betty

5. Sandiep

Sandiep Well-Known Member

this might explain why so many in a grave

Why do other deceased in a grave appear unrelated to the person buried there that I'm interested in?

Other interments in a grave are most useful in finding additional members of the family, as purchased graves can hold members of the family related directly or by marriage. However, if the grave is un-purchased (sometimes known as a "common" grave, or historically as a "paupers grave") then it is unlikely that interments in the grave will be of relatives, as these graves were used for those that couldn't afford to purchase exclusive burial rights in a plot, and typically hold a larger number of interments than privately purchased graves. The information about whether a grave is purchased or not is not always available on the website, but if a grave contains a large number of interments, and/or if the family names of the deceased are all different, then it is probably un-purchased.
    Additionally, on rare occasions, fixed term burial rights in graves may have been re-sold on expiry to unrelated persons, in which case the original remains should still be recorded as being in the grave.

MollyMay, Chimp, kernowmaid and 5 others like this.
  6. bettyespana

bettyespana Member

Thank you for the explanation Sandiep.Until I questioned who these people were & the lovely people on the forum made the discovery that they were in fact related I would never have known.
    I suppose we take these things for granted these days & "paupers" graves & "common" graves are not really thought of.
    Betty

Sandiep, GrannyBarb, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.