National Burial Index

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by kernowmaid, Sep 10, 2018.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

This may not be the correct forum to post to, but you ARE the experts ...

I bought 10 death certs for Thomas Vickers before I found the right one (my gt gt grandad). Later, having found a distant "cousin", I was gobsmacked when he told me where & when Thomas was buried. He said he got the info from "the National Burial Index on CD".

Now I have the same problem with my other gt gt grandad, Robert William Scott. I know he died in Northallerton, after 1891, probably before 1901, but there's no obvious death recorded.

So I'm wondering whether to buy this CD rather than random certificates.

Does anyone have any opinions on this CD? Is it easy to use? Does it contain more than would a FMP search? (I don't have a FMP sub, but Ancestry is no help - that brings up THOUSANDS of suggestions, mostly in the USA :mad:)

All opinions welcome & gratefully received.

Jane

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

There's this:

Robert William Scott buried 14 Feb 1899, age 75 and buried in Hyde Perk, Cemetery, Doncaster.

Oops, just discovered it may be a bit far from Northallerton.

kernowmaid likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

It would be a help to know where & when he was born

kernowmaid likes this.
  4. kernowmaid

Thanks, girls (;)). I think I've narrowed him down to one of 2 - it's buying the CD I'm not sure about.

But, if you feel like searching :D: this is my gt gt gt grandad (I left one gt out on the original message). He was born abt 1827 in Scotland (Castleton, in the Hawick area I think) - so I know I'm going to have to join Scotlands People for that bit.

I have a letter from his daughter (my gt aunt, b Sep 1897) to her niece (my aunt):
    "My grandfather Scott (Robert William) died maybe 1899 - I can vaguely remember him. This was at Northallerton... My father took me Saturdays through the years to visit his mother. I can't remember her names. (I think she was Ann Elizabeth MARSHALL, b abt 1826 Northallerton) ... Both grandparents are buried in Northallerton churchyard."

So I'm looking at 2 N'ton deaths - both just William, both aged 75y - Q1 1900 & Q1 1901.

I think I've found Ann E in 1901 - a widow, but not yet her death...
    And apparently the headstones in N'ton churchyard are all laid flat & unreadable :(.

oh blow it, I'm gonna order that disc! Will probably need help on how to use it - technology is not my forte!

Jane

Sis likes this.
  5. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

The National Burial Index is published by the Federation of Family History Societies and contains data collected by member societies. According to the FFHS website there are over 18.4 million entries.

Some of the data has been uploaded to FindMyPast, and it appears they are hoping to add more, but they don't give a timescale. FMP say they currently have over 12 million records, so about two thirds of the total. It may be that things can't be added to FMP without the agreement of the contributing societies.

The relevant pages of the websites are here:
    Code:
    http://www.ffhs.org.uk/burials/nbi-overview.php

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/national-burial-index-for-england-and-wales
    The CD/DVD is fairly easy to use - there are more details on the FFHS site. Northallerton Cemetery does appear to be included, but I can't see an obvious burial there - though as Wendy says, an age would help.

Note: I think it's OK for me to give this info - this is from the FFHS site:
    Code:
    http://www.ffhs.org.uk/burials/nbi-v3.php
    Edit:
    Posted without seeing your reply, Jane. Might be able to add more later.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and kernowmaid like this.
  6. burt

burt Member

It would seem the 1901 Burial is more probably yours.
    The MIs for Upper Cemetary, Northallerton have been
    transcribed by Robert Walker, Google 'northallerton
    monumental inscriptions', go to 'Cemetaries', find
    Scott in surname list, gives two, A row 1 which is
    irrelevant and B row 1 number 19 which is of Romanby
    and family connections are wrong and is 1900.

kernowmaid likes this.
  7. arthurk

OK, a bit more on this.

There are two William Scott burials in Northallerton, in 1900 and 1901, both of similar ages. Each of those appears twice in the NBI, being apparently sourced from both the parish register and the cemetery register. (In one case the age in one is a year out, but that can probably be overlooked.) I've come across this occasionally before, where the vicar used the burial register to record every burial he conducted in the parish, whether in the churchyard or not. So I think we're probably looking at the cemetery rather than the churchyard.

These 4 entries are all at FMP, but in addition FMP has for each of them an image of the church burial register. So in this case, if you have access to FMP, the NBI won't add anything. In fact FMP gives you more, as the PR gives a residence for each of them - one's from Northallerton, the other from Romanby (cf Burt's reply).

When it comes to Ann Elizabeth Scott, the same seems to apply, and FMP has 3 entries for her. She was buried in Nov 1905.

kernowmaid likes this.
  8. kernowmaid

Arthur - if you're still there - How did you access the Parish Record?

As FMP is free access until tonight, I thought I'd give it a go. I can find the 2 William deaths - but the only "photo" is of the GRO Register pages. Can't see any mention of residence ...

Ooooh, I'm so excited :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Jane

9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Thats what I'd like to know too please. :)

10. arthurk

There may be other ways, but I used Search from the top menu*, and selected Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records, then Parish Burials in the left hand menu.

Enter William Scott, date 1900 +/- 1, location Northallerton, and the 6 results come up. Amend and repeat for Ann.

* FMP have been experimenting with a new 'dashboard' homepage, where things look different. Some days I get it, some days I don't, and others have reported the same (can't remember if it was here or elsewhere). Whatever the route that's needed, you need to be looking in Parish Burials.

Ma-dotcom, Eve, Sis and 2 others like this.
  11. kernowmaid

Arthur, I love you! :oops:

Jane

(Done it. Got 'em. Yay!!!!!)

Half Hour, Ma-dotcom, Eve and 4 others like this.