Nearly made a fool of myself!

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Brentor boy, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Active Member

Elizabeth Mitchell was born in 1857 in St Agnes, Cornwall. She married John Osborne in St Agnes in 1881, and was buried as Elizabeth Osborne in St Agnes in December 1889, age 33.

I was about to post a comment about a death registration "missing" from Free BMD when I decided to have a final search, removing the Cornwall/Devon restriction. Up she pops, ( or is it down she dropped?) in Liverpool. What on earth was she doing up there?

An object lesson in having to be open minded in our research.

LianeH, Sandiep, Half Hour and 8 others like this.
  2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I would hazard a guess that she was about to board a ship for America to join her husband :)
    Cornish Telegraph 12th December 1889
    December 4 at Liverpool, Bessie, wife of Mr John Osborne of Colorado, America, and daughter of Mr T. Mitchell of Goonown, St Agnes, aged 32.

Sue036, Bay Horse, Sandiep and 9 others like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Oh dear. That’s very sad. John waiting for her at the other end. :(

Sue036, Bay Horse, Half Hour and 5 others like this.
  4. Brentor boy

Many thanks, Ann. I was not expecting such a significant response, which now opens up a whole new area of research - John Osborne in America.

Sue036, Half Hour, Ma-dotcom and 5 others like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Good luck :nailbiting:

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and Chimp like this.
  6. Brentor boy

I believe I have now found record of John's migration in 1881, aboard SS Britannic, but it is impossible to be sure with such a fairly common name and such limited detail on the manifest.
    I am more confident that Bessie, together with son John, followed him in 1885 on board SS Celtic.
    It now appears that Bessie was taken ill on board ship on a return to England. Newspaper accounts refer to her having been " confined" on board and she died whilst being transferred from the vessel to hospital.
    I interpret that to mean she was pregnant, went into premature labour, lost her child and, eventually, her life.