New Vocation

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Peregrine, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I retired over three years ago, just after I turned 60 and just before my eldest daughter got married in 2013 (mental arithmetic required). I seem to have now taken up a new vocation: I have turned into a washer-woman! Married daughter is renovating and currently has no laundry and single daughter doesn't have a washing machine in her apartment. So I am doing our washing (the big lad and I) and washing for a family of three and washing for a single lady. The only problem is how long all that washing takes to be collected or delivered and my living room seems to be almost always over-run with washing, airing rack and washing baskets. I have enough trouble getting around to ironing our own washing so there is always a basket (or two) of ironing hanging around the place: too busy researching our ancestors.

In addition, at present we are caring for our 14 month old granddaughter on Thursdays and every second Monday. And yes we both took great pleasure this month in answering the question on the Australian census pertaining to whether we cared for a child who was not our child.

Oh and our granddaughter loves books, so she regularly brings books to us to read to her. But her favourite is the book, Puff the Magic Dragon, which of course has to be sung (I was a Peter, Paul and Mary fan). Embarrassingly, when her father came to collect her this evening and stayed a while, she brought it to me and I had to sing in front of him: while I love to sing, I am infamous for, as my mother kindly put it, singing in my own key, and it is bad enough singing in front of the big lad and my daughters but singing in front of others..... :oops::D

2. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

aww bless that's what mums (and nannies) are for;)

We've also been renovating and my mum has house-sat quite a few times - a serious big thank you prezzie will be purchased when we've finished. Honestly though she won't know what to do with herself once we've finished:D

3. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

I've been doing the unpaid Granny gig for over three years now. It's a very in the moment experience. Recently "time out" has been my best friend with a mouthy 4 year old. My extra duty is unpaid bookkeeping for DIL's business. Had two unsuccessful attempts to get her on do-it-herself software. She refuses to be burdened with data entry, but those invoices better go out every week! :mad: So, financially I'm retired. Otherwise I'm just... tired!

Peregrine, does your baby try to "help" with the laundry yet?

4. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I am looking after The Rodent Child at the minute.

Daughter and son-in-law are on their belated honeymoon (SIL is a teacher, so they had to wait four months until the school holidays to jet away). Daughter works full-time at a university, and there are no plans just yet for me to add a descendent to my database - but they have a Chinchilla called Lionel, who is doted on like a baby. Apparently in captivity they can live for 20+ years, longer than most cats and dogs.

You wouldn't believe the list of feeding and care instructions I was given. Even having to set the tv on timer for its favourite programmes. :sceptical:

5. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Bay Horse

The fur kids are just as important as the human ones:D

Nightryder and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

You lot made my day!! My husband and I are still giggling..... particularly at the TV watching chinchilla, lol!!

After reading the above, I am going to confess that having grandchildren is most definitely not on my bucket list, as they say. I find having my daughter here is just fine, but her dog (shih Tzu) is a pain in the posterior and usually pees on the rug to get even with me for taking her attention away from him!! :headbang: Now I see why my mum never wanted to babysit, lol. We were raised by a nanny so she got off light!!:D

Ma-dotcom, Peregrine, Sis and 3 others like this.
  7. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

You can start up an official laundry business :D. By the way I loved Puff too.

Ma-dotcom, Sis and Peregrine like this.
  8. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I used to work in a school Lab and couldn't wait or the long holidays, now we have retired and have 5 grandchildren who we do love dearly but we now say hooray for start of school term:D

9. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Or so you think ;) She's most likely showing diplomacy but the reality may just be different...........it's what we Mum's do! :D

LianeH, Sis, Peregrine and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Very soon I'll be a Thursday Grandma, my daughter returns to work 5th September. The little fellah will be eleven months and attending nursery three and a half days. I am so looking forward to our weekly days spent together :) He's had some breaking - in time at nursery and has taken to it like a duck to water, didn't bat an eyelid when Mum waved goodbye, and wasn't excited to see her when she went to pick him up. My dau asked the nursery nurse how he'd been and was told he settled in very easily, BUT he had a liking for the other children's dummies and was taking them from them :eek:, this amused me as his Mum was the same - when in her pushchair and passing another pushchair coming towards us my dau would 'nick' the dummy from a child's mouth :rolleyes:. There was improvement today though in 'his behaviour' ;), no nicking dummies and when Mum went to collect him he was sat quietly on a rug looking through a picture book:angel:

Bay Horse, LianeH, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  11. Peregrine

She is very good at sorting through baskets of clean washing - spreading the clothes across the room!
    Also likes to put dirty clothes in an out of my laundry hamper which has a nice spring loaded lid to lift up and down. She wasn't too sure when her Grumpy (the big lad) put her into it though!
    She is now officially a book thief as well: yesterday she took the book I was reading and now I can't find it!

GrannyBarb, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  12. Peregrine

You will have a great time together. And I look forward to comparing notes as our grandchildren grow and develop!
    My daughter returned to work in July, and worked three days a week and Chloe went to child care/creche two days a week and with her father and I alternately sharing Mondays. Now my daughter works a 9 day fortnight, with me doing Thursdays and alternate Mondays shared with her father, her other grandmother has her on alternate Wednesdays. Unfortunately I will lose my Thursdays in October as she starts going to the child care centre on Thursdays.
    We are going to NZ for three weeks next month and have scheduled our trip for when our other daughter, a teacher-librarian at a private school, has three week long school holidays: that way she gets to take on our Chloe minding duties, which she is looking forward to very much. She'll also be looking after our Brittany Spaniel, Chloe's favourite playmate, for the last week, but he goes to a kennel for the other two weeks.

Mealymoo, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I'm not doing any of those things just now :D :D :D
    am once again enjoying indexing & catching up on emails-almost. ;)

Enjoy your babes & furry pals while you can ladies. full grown is just a spurt away.

Sis likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Did you try the laundry hamper....
    I loved those days with our Mia. How I miss them. We used to go shopping (so Grandma could show her off) and both had the best time. Me with my flat white and her with her babycchino. Going for walks with Grandma removing her long pants for some sunshine. Oops, not mine, hers.;) Taking her to the wildlife park and patting the fauna. One day a goat sat her pram when our backs were turned. She wasn't in it at the time. But it was hilarious.
    Her brother was a Mummy's boy and although we had good times too he was continually whinging. He's a bonza kid now and shares my penchant of cemeteries. I think he just wants to find a ghost or two. He's going to be our next family historian, I hope.

LianeH, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  15. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Coincidentally my daughter who returns to work in a couple of weeks is also a librarian, at our local Uni.

Nursery fees here are very expensive, my daughter will be back to work full time, my grandson's daddy has one morning per week off work and will look after baby, then take him to nursery at lunch time. It means they have three and a half days to pay for, plus campus parking fees......ouch :eek:. It's all worth it though :).

Enjoy your holiday in NZ, I'm sure the countryside will be beautiful, very green and lush :)

16. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Interesting reading all your posts and I have just 2 questions (assuming I can remember them, lol). Mealy moo...nursery school at 11 months?? Mind blowing!!

Peregrine...Do you have a shortage of day care facilities in Oz?! I know zip about these things, but that child has a lot of babysitters!!!

Btw, to explain my lack of knowledge, I have one daughter, aged 53 who is single, one husband who is an only child and a grand dog that needs his nose rubbed into the "urine deposits" on my rug!! So it's a foreign world to me.

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  17. Peregrine

I also sing There is a Ship; Lemon Tree; and Where have all the Flowers Gone to her when trying to get her to sleep! ;) Seems I can only remember the words to PP&M songs and hymns from the Methodist/Uniting Church hymn book. Am also developing my repertoire of nursery rhymes and action songs.

18. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

OK Mealymoo, understand that now re high fees etc...thanks.

Mealymoo likes this.
  19. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Figgs....Day care prices (daily) about the same as high dependency nursing home care for the elderly and day care workers earn a pittance. One of the lowest paid jobs here.

20. Peregrine

There are plenty of child care centres (I can easily think of six within a mile of my home), but her father and mother both work a nine day fortnight: so her grandmothers take on the alternate Mondays and Wednesdays. I am doing Thursdays for a few months only, as initially there was no place available at her centre on Thursdays. The beauty of the centre she attends is that it is basically just across the main road around the corner from their home and they walk there.

Ma-dotcom, Mealymoo and Sis like this.