New Vocation

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Peregrine, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Peregrine..I find it interesting that you all love PP& M. They must be so loved the world over!

Thanks ladies for enlightening me the the high costs, etc. No young children on our street either so was a bit clueless as to daycare. Actually "totally clueless" :D

2. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I did a similar thing with my now grown-up daughters, I worked full-time, except for the years of their births and returned to work before they were 1 year old. They went to a wonderful child-care centre but in the year (1990) that they were both there my take-home earnings, after paying for child-care, amounted to only about $110 a fortnight and I was on a fairly good salary!
    And child-care is still very expensive here.

3. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I worked on a temp basis from the time Elayne was 4 yrs old and had accommodating bosses who sent me home when she got out of school. Eventually got a lady for lunches and after school but they were scarce...the good ones were! This was around 1970. Working mothers were frowned on in those days!

Mealymoo, Peregrine and Sis like this.
  4. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

CHECK THE LAUNDRY HAMPER!!!!! :angel:

(Ooops, should have finished reading before writing! :) )

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

I really loved singing songs to Miss K when she was very small. I especially love making up songs to describe whatever we're doing. One of my biggest hits was the "Waiting on Mommy" song for days when she was running late. :) Nowadays Miss K does most of the performing - very melodramatic Disney princess power anthems complete with gymnastic / ballet "moves."

Ma-dotcom, Sis, Figgs and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

There's over 8yrs between my two daughters and I didn't return to work until the youngest was seven, and then only half days with university holidays off, I therefore never had to pay for child care. When I first learned how expensive nursery fees are I was gob smacked! But good professional care is essential, the little ones are so precious. The nursery is very well equipped and getting messy is part of the fun, there's beds for them to take a nap whenever they feel sleepy :)

I love reading to children and can't wait for my grandson to understand stories, we do sit with books but they are picture books or the ones which make animal sounds. He likes me to do silly dancing when he's playing his music, and giggles away, we, the family and I, refer to me as his 'court jester' :rolleyes:. He probably thinks I'm mad as a hatter but he likes my silliness :D

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Philippa and 2 others like this.
  7. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I envy you all in a way.....but knew I would never be a grandmother. Elayne announced in her teens that she was not planning on ever having children, but I hoped she might change her mind. However, she never met anyone she really wanted to marry, so that is the way it is. I am not all that comfortable with other people's children if they act up for instance......but all of my neighbours children (now adults) were amazingly good. It sounds like you all thoroughly enjoy it. Good for you!! :)

Mealymoo, Sis, Philippa and 1 other person like this.
  8. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I just checked the laundry hamper - book is not there

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Philippa like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Me too Barb, now entertain the doggies [or just me] with silly rhyming ditties of what I'm doing or about to do during the day. no don't call for help- they won't come :D

GrannyBarb, Bay Horse and Sis like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

"Did you hear me?"
    "Yes, but I thought you were talking to the dog!":rolleyes:
    Like when I smashed my arm. Got stuck laying down on the lounge, yelling for help. Who came to my rescue? The dog.

11. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Figgs - my daughter works at a nursery (baby room), when school returns in September they will be taking in a 7 WEEK old - 5 days a week (school times). They have had another since he was 12 weeks - it really makes me wonder - why?
    High rates and low pay here too - but she loves the job.

Mealymoo, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  12. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

:(

book.png

13. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Maybe I am too old to understand why as well. But in my day we stayed home till kids were 5 or so. We couldn't afford daycare so we had no choice and it was also a "social no-no". So I have to be honest and say I don't agree with a newborn being in a daycare... particularly health wise.

My daughter had a milk allergy that almost killed her at 3 months and that is what I mean re health. But I guess things are different now and I certainly don't want to upset anyone here. This was in the 60's so different times, different ideas.

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Like you I am glad I was able to be home with mine when they were little, but it is such a different world now. Nurseries now deal with all types of allergies - and it seems to be the norm, so many children seem to have them these days.

Ma-dotcom and Figgs like this.