Newspaper records of trials and transportation

Discussion in 'Dublin' started by Philippa, May 8, 2013.

1. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Two of my convict ancestors were tried in Dublin in 1798 and 1811 respectively. Since they were only sentenced to 7 years' transportation I feel they were "naughty" rather than "wicked" but have no idea of their crimes.

None of the Australian records I've seen so far have given any indication of their misdemeanours, so I wondered which Dublin newspapers (if any) would have recorded trials, convictions or otherwise and sentences over that period.

I've made a promise to myself that if I can find the reports of their trials I'll leave the Irish part of their lives alone and get back to filling in gaps with their Australian history.

Last time I checked the National Library of Australia didn't have issues of the Freeman's Journal covering that period but I'm afraid I have no idea of other papers which might be of use.

Any suggestions more than welcome (I've been looking for these crimes for a number of years now and am just about ready to toss in the towel - completely lacking in tenacity, that's me!!). :(

Philippa

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have you checked out the Irish Newspaper Archives? I think that they have the dates covered:
    irishnewsarchive.com/

3. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I had a quick look, Jan, and put the dates in from the drop down menu, but couldn't find a thing. Came up with "no result for............." each time I tried. Ho hum.

Might have to try it when I'm a little more awake and less distracted. You have no idea of what's been going on between our place and our daughter's today. I feel I must have been really really awful in a previous life and am now copping payback!!!!!!

Will have an early night tonight and after taking our dog to the vet first thing in the morning (the result of one of the "happenings" of today) I hope to have a more normal day. That's when I'll hit the searches again.

Take care, and have a good day/night/whatever!! I'm too confused to work out the differences at the moment. :oops:

Philippa

4. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Hugs. Cannot find a smiley hug though.

5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Thanks, Mogs, it's really the thought that counts I think!!! (but a hug smiley would be nice).

6. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Philippa, have you investigated this site?
    http://www.
    nationalarchives.ie/genealogy1/genealogy-records/ireland-australia-transportation-records-1791-1853/

Clicking on 'Ireland-Australia transportation database (.pdf version)' will take you to a search page - enter your convicts' names and see if there's anything relevant

7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Hi Moo. That site was where I originally found proof of my convicts being convicted and transported - or rather it was in the "Irish Gift" from the Irish Govt to Australia maybe to commemorate our bi-centennial? The records there do show date and place of trial and also sentence, plus the ship and date of sailing, but no crime. I do have a third Irish convict and discovered his offence from his original Ticket of Leave, issued on completion of his 7 years' transportation. For the life of me I cannot find a ticket of leave for the two in question, but surely they must have received one given they then went on to lead relatively long and successful lives after paying for their crimes.

8. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Hi Philippa,

I have two English convicts (brothers), one transported to VDL, the other NSW. For the one transported to VDL there's oodles of online information both here in the UK, and in Australia, but very little info to be found for the convict transported to NSW. Infact I'm not even sure that the info I've found for my NSW convict pertains to the right chap.

Were 'yours' transported to NSW? I get the impression VDL kept more detailed records, or perhaps not all NSW records have survived or may be not digitised yet?

If you are OK about posting their names we can try searching for you. Could their names be mistransribed?

9. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

'Morning, Moo.

All four of my convicts came to NSW. Three Irish, one English. The Colonial Secretary's Papers have quite a bit of information about the first two and indirectly about the English Lass, the third Irish chap was too law-abiding and not so much of a land acquirer so he doesn't appear much at all.

I'm quite happy to post details, and will look at that when we get back. I'm just about to take the OH out for his daily escape from our four walls and early this afternoon have a pre-op appointment at the hospital. I might not get a chance to get back here until all that is over and done with, but I certainly will get back.

Many thanks!!

Philippa