Newspapers

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by Amle, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me? Two years ago I searched through newspaper articles on FMP and found several articles on my family I printed them off but I did not save them to my computer. Now two years later I decided to re-visit the site and do a better job so I can save them properly. However I can't find them now on FMP.
    When I printed them off I used their printer friendly button so on printing they have the FMP logo so I know I got them from there. These articles seem to relate to the time period around 1900 and are mostly from The Reading Mercury.
    They can't all have disappeared and I am getting others. Is it that once seen and printed that's it and they don't show me them again, or is there another reason why these batch have disappeared.
    An example is Mary Barnes from the Reading Mercury Saturday 12 April 1902.
    Can anyone explain this or suggest how I may access them again.
    With Thanks

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I think that some of their records have been omitted in their revamp earlier this year.

I have just searched for Mary BARNES using the newspaper filter for the Reading Mercury and there is nothing there for 1902. :(

Perhaps send them an email, explaining and asking if they can offer a suggestion as to why this has happened.

Amle likes this.
  3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

I've just had a look at the British Newspaper Archive site and they don't have the Reading Mercury for that date either.

Amle likes this.
  4. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Amie, the British Library Newspaper Archive includes the Reading Mercury. If you don't have a subscription, just send me names and dates you want looking up, and I'll do some searching for you.

David

Sis and Amle like this.
  5. Bonzo Dog

Oh, that's interesting. According to their drop down list they have scans covering 1770-1918, perhaps the coverage is not complete.:oops:

Amle likes this.
  6. Flook

I've logged out now but I think 1900 - 1905 are missing.

Amle likes this.
  7. Flook

The Reading Mercury's 20th century images seem to start in 1915.

Amle likes this.
  8. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I have just E-Mailed them, so I await with baited breath. They would have to be the most interesting articles I had, a couple I copied the articles but did not copy the date or title of the paper but I know the events were around 1900 and the one for Mary Barnes is the same area, presumably the same paper as the others. So they were online.
    Just goes to show it is good to save hard copies as well.

Thank you for your offer David that is kind. I will get back to you if FMP can't help, if that is alright.:)

9. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Well I did get a response and they said they had to take this newspaper off for copyright purposes. It is 10 or more years so of the Reading Mercury so how does that work? I am not sure if I am a cynic but it looks like an excuse.

Can someone explain the difference between the Newspaper Library, the British Museum Library newspapers and the ones on Find my Past. Is there a difference?

10. Flook

That seems absolute nonsense to me. The gap in the Reading Mercury's run on the British Newspaper Archive is from January 1871 to December 1914 inclusive. The run resumes January 1915 to December 1918. I can't see what relevance copyright law has to the missing issues. I'd email them back and say "what copyright issues could there possibly be?" & "Why then are the 1915 to 1918 copies available?".

Sis, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  11. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

British Newspapers when they first went online had an article from the Lloyds Weekly News of Aug 1905 from which I just got a few salient points, I did not buy the article at the time. When FMP got these newspapers I though great I can now get that free but, the same article/newspaper year is not available (I referred to this article on another post). So it would appear FMP do not have all the records of BN after all.

12. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

Have just looked on the British newspaper site and they no longer have anything from 1901 onwards. Another "copyright" issue i suppose.

HildaW likes this.
  13. Bonzo Dog

It turns out it is not just the 1st decade of the 20th C issues of the Reading Mercury that are missing. The same applies to a number of other newspapers, some of which might have reports relating to a fair number of relatives. All very frustrating.

HildaW likes this.
  14. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

On a slightly different note, today I searched the British newspapers site (the paid one) for a death report in Birmingham which I knew had occurred around 20th july 1880. I searched (supposedly ) from15th july to 15th August and found nothing with that name , though it did keep picking up several non-connected items. Then I noticed that all the "hits" were for 15th, with nothing for any later date. Then repeated for individual days and soon found a long coroners report and a couple of smaller relevant items. It looked as if the search date function was not working properly. It has worked fine before. Have others had this problem recently?

15. Bonzo Dog

I have, and coincidentally, with searches in Birmingham newspapers. Shortly after opening my subscription when the service first came on line I had found a report relating to my g g grandfather (a neighbour had stolen some of his pigeons) and noted all the details. I recently decided to make a transcript of the article and it took me a long time to find it even though I knew the exact date. The article was eventually found, using "pigeon" as the search string.

16. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

On the subject of newspapers, I wonder if anyone could give me some guide lines please?

I have a relation who, according to family gossip, in about 1953 tried to gas herself and all her children, but was unsuccessful as her eldest son, then about 15 managed to climb out of the bathroom window and raise the alarm. Apparently the lady in question was sent to prison for a few years, and the children were farmed out but I don't know where.

Gossip has it that her husband was a real baddie and because he had many other women, this is what caused her to 'end it all'

This all happened in Dagenham, and, I am told, was reported in - of all things - the News of the World.

So, can anyone tell me if the News of the World is available online for this time period, or if not, what local paper would be the best to try to find details?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Diana

17. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I believe that the News of the World has an archive online, but you would have to purchase a 'pass' for a day or a week. If you google News of the World archive you should find it

thalauafu likes this.
  18. Bonzo Dog

A search on "attempted suicides dagenham essex 1953" gives a large number of possible sites which could be worth looking at.

Best of luck Diana

David

thalauafu likes this.
  19. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

Thanks David, Will definitely try this! :)