Northallerton map in 1871?

Discussion in 'Yorkshire' started by kernowmaid, Mar 20, 2019.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Please can anyone point me in the direction of a map showing the street-names of Northallerton (Yorkshire) circa 1871?

I have 3 families living at RYMERS YARD, STROUGHNERS YARD & OAK TREE YARD and would like to know how close they were to each other & the Tannery.

Would a "Yard" be an actual streetname, or would it be just an area next to a building (like a "pub yard", eg)?

Feeling dumb ... duh

Jane

2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

If you look at an old map of Northallerton such as this one
    Code:
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/125627011
    you'll see that all along what is now the High Street (referred to on the map as Market Place/Town Street) there are rows of properties going back at right angles to the street. I think these would be the yards, possibly named after the building or owner at the street end.

I managed to find a reference to Rymers Yard in a Facebook post:
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/NorthallertonViews/posts/sandra-donnelly-asks-i-saw-you-had-a-picture-of-mitchells-newsagents-my-dads-aun/491404640903706/
    Apparently it was behind what is now Boyes (109 High Street), which from Google Street View looks to be an old building; the current shop entrances may well have led to the yards. I couldn't find anything on the other two yards you mention, but I would expect them to be very similar.

(Just out of interest, Boyes is next to the Golden Lion, where Godfrey Hirst, brother of one of my ancestors, was landlord in the late 18th-early 19th century.)

kernowmaid likes this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

In case you want to see what a yard looks like.
    This is a picture of Bell's Yard in Uxbridge c1900(some of the yards still exist).
    They were inhabited by the poorest people.
    There are entrances/gates along the High Street that lead into tiny dense housing areas. The entrance is where the chap in the centre (distance) is standing
    upload_2019-3-20_14-36-11.png

4. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Thanks Arthur.
    I've just spent hours looking at photos on the Facebook site (so it does have a use after all!) and am coming to grips with the definition of "a yard".

Jane

And thank you Molly May for the example!

Ma-dotcom, arthurk and MollyMay like this.