Northamptonshire Archives

Discussion in 'Northamptonshire' started by Daft Bat, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Charges have been averted... for now:

Code:
    http://www.ffhs.org.uk/news/news170809.php

Sandiep, Archie's Mum, Flook and 3 others like this.
  2. Philb-c

Philb-c Well-Known Member

page 4 of "Northamptonshire Heritage Strategy", which states: "The county’s history and heritage should be valued and protected, actively promoted and made accessible to all, now and into the future, so that it becomes a cornerstone of the county’s present and future economic and community development".

Do you get the feeling that this sort of thing will spread ?
    All of our (so called) "public" records are being sold off to the highest bidder :(

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Everything is for sale evidently.

AnnaJenny and Sis like this.
  4. Philb-c

Philb-c Well-Known Member

I would imagine that the majority of people seriously researching their family history are not "youngsters" (apologies to those on here who are) and, as such, are the group who can probably least afford the spiraling cost of our chosen pastime (obsession LOL) :(.

Half Hour, AnnaJenny, Sis and 4 others like this.
  5. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Philb-c informs us that "page 4 of "Northamptonshire Heritage Strategy", which states: "The county’s history and heritage should be valued and protected, actively promoted and made accessible to all, now and into the future, so that it becomes a cornerstone of the county’s present and future economic and community development"."

What a typical load of management b******t. There is no particular logic to this "vision statement". Surely we learn from history but as it's our past we need to really work out whether it should become a cornerstone of current economic development. How is the poverty of a life led in agriculture or the sheer hard work of making boots and shoes in appalling workshops something that should guide modern economic policy? How many local government man-hours were wasted producing such arrant nonsense? Why indeed was there a need to spend any time when resources are so tight?

There is a very simple lesson that the county needs to espouse. Our history should indeed be preserved, made available as widely and as cheaply as possible and if there is any relevance to modern economic policy so be it but I very much doubt it.

Grumpy Tony

Half Hour, AnnaJenny, Auburn and 6 others like this.
  6. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

I have heard today that Northamptonshire Library Service is withdrawing Ancestry from their free service. This is among other cuts. Also magazine subs will not be renewed as they come to an end. My library has one of the Family History mags which I will miss. :mad::mad:

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

:reading: :(

Daft Bat and Half Hour like this.
  8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Thanks for posting this. :(

I know that there have been problems with using Ancestry in the Library for a little while. :(

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

If newspaper reports are accurate this truly sad state of affairs affects all manner of services provided across the county and is down to years of financial mismanagement by the County Council. :(

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

... erm ... I may get rotten tomatoes thrown at me here ... but ...

at least Northamptonshire Council are brave enough to admit there's a problem, rather than sticking their heads in the sand (we've got a lot of that in Cornwall!)

Jane

Ma-dotcom likes this.