Not for the squeamish....

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by AnnB, Mar 28, 2018.

1. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I'm researching a friend's family in North Devon and came up with a court case for a family with the same name (not sure if they are the family I am looking for but, in this case, I hope not) and the description of the bedroom where the prisoners were found is awful and sad at the same time :eek::(

North Devon Journal 24th April 1945
    ......The constables on going upstairs found the two male prisoners were in bed: at the foot of the bed in a pan were the carcasses of nine fowls, picked in a hurried manner, and sadly put out of hand: in a dish close by were the gizzards of a larger number: in a corner of the room was the remains of one that had been boiled: the heads and feet of the fowls were probably burnt, as there were none found, and a great stench of burnt feathers was observed, and many feathers lay about the fire place where the mother sat. On removing the top fowls in the pan, the lower ones felt quite warm; a vessel under the bed was nearly filled with blood; and in a hole in the flooring a large quantity of the feathers were secreted, which were secured by the police, as were those lying about the room. The prisoners were taken into custody.....

LianeH, Chimp, Steve Bumstead and 5 others like this.
  2. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

and I thought my kitchen was a mess......

3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

4. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

:D:D:D:D:D

5. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

What were they doing? And what was the sentence?

Hubby's 3rd great grandfather served three years for eating part of a stolen chicken. The man and his family were starving. :(

6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Firstly, sorry but the date of the paper should read 24th April 1845 :oops:
    The two lads had been remanded for stealing ‘nine fowls’ and were found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation. Their father went to prison (with hard labour) for a month and their mother went to prison for three months. The father had been described as an ‘emaciated, ill-looking man’. The mother, who was charged with receiving, was, apparently, ‘shown leniancy’, due to the fact that she had a young family :(

7. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

That was lenient?:(

8. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Around about the same time as my hubby's ancestor, then, who died shortly after being released. :( It would seem that the courts came down heavily on anyone caught stealing food as a means of keeping their families alive, and the theft of poultry was seen as a particularly despicable crime.

:(

9. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

One of hubbys ancestors spent timei the workhouse with her six mo th old baby while her hubby was serving six months hard labour for stealing (with two accomplices) five tame ducks. They sold two and each had one for the pot.

Such harsh sentences for poor families that were probably struggling:(