Not of critical importance but would like to fill in the blanks.

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by The Artful Dodger, Jun 18, 2020.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

I'm trying to locate the earlier details i.e. details of early life before connecting with Michael Dowden for Hannah.

Michael is my 4th great grandfather. He married Sarah Fullmer on 30 Aug. 1822 and the had 3 children - Samuel Edward, Sarah Ann and Catherine. I am satisfied with what I have on the 3 children. He is with wife and and children in 1841 at Cobourg Row and his wife died in 4th q. 1841 and was buried 26 Dec. in St, Mary, Whitechapel.
    In 1851 he is with his mother Sarah Dowden and daughter Catherine - H0107/1577/184/17 - occupation Beer Shop keeper. With him is Hannah named as his wife. She was aged 48 and gave her place of birth as Helrop [sic] Gloucestershire

I went looking for a marriage prior to 1851 and all I could find was the one in 1822. Expanding the search I found a marriage that happened 22 Jun. 1858 to a Hannah Mills. The marriage certificate indicates both were widowed at the time of marriage. Hannah named her father as William Merchant a General Dealer.

I have not been able to find her baptism.
    I have not been able to find a marriage to a Mr. Mills.

I have a possible census reference for 1841 - H0107/353/5/58/38 - in Cheltenham, Gloucs. with 2 daughters Esther and Teresa. I have found several baptisms for both Esther and Teresa but none seem to fit and I cannot these 2 girls after 1841 - not that they are overly important at this stage.

Hannah Merchant/Mills/Dowden died in 4th q. 1859 and was buried in Brompton Cemetery, London 19 Dec. 1859.

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

A Hannah Merchant was baptised at Hatherop Gloucestershire 11/3/1804
    father William mother Elizabeth.
    A tree on Anc. has the mother as Elizabeth Sorrell, but use the surname Marchant
    upload_2020-6-18_23-24-7.png

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

There is this possible marriage for her parents. (transcript only)

Marriage: 3 Jul 1796, Coln Rogers, Gloucestershire, England
    William Marchant
    Elizabeth Sorrill

England, Phillimore Marriage Registers, 1531-1913 Image
    Parish: Coln Rogers
    County: Gloucestershire
    Volume: Gloucestershire Marriage Registers, Vol 12
    Year: 1755-1812
    Image number: 143

William Marchant, of Coin St. Dennis, & Elizabeth Sorrill, of C. R. .. .. 3 July 1796

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    The Artful Dodger and MollyMay like this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The actual parish register entry of their marriage is available to view on Ancestry and reads:

3 July 1796 at Coln Rogers William MARCHANT of the parish of Coln Dennis & Elizabeth SORRILL of this parish by banns. Both made their mark and the witnesses were John MILLINGTON & Richard CRADDOCK who both signed.

Janet

5. janetbooth

Looking through the actual parish register images of Hatherop for baptisms of a Hannah between 1795 & 1812, there are only 3 likely contenders for your Hannah, one in 1797 for a Hannah BETTERTON, base born daughter of Frances BETTERTON, but she married a John GREY at Hatherop, one on 3 July 1801 for a Hannah Maria BAYLIS base born daughter of Mary BAYLIS - haven't managed to trace her with any certainty - but the only likely candidate given the details shown on her marriage record to Michael DOWDEN, is the Hannah MERCHANT/MARCHANT baptised 11 March 1804 to William & Elizabeth. And just to round it all off, William MERCHANT buried at Hatherop on 8 November 1835, aged 73. Elizabeth MERCHANT buried at Hatherop on 7 January 1818, aged 46.

Janet

6. janetbooth

And Hannah's burial record at Brompton Cemetery via Ancestry: Hannah DOWDEN buried 19 December 1859, Stewart's Lane, Battersea Fields, aged 54.

Janet

The Artful Dodger and Chimp like this.
  7. The Artful Dodger

Thank you all for your help

8. The Artful Dodger

Coln Rogers is only about 7 miles from Hatherop, so looks very promising.