Obedience Hadley, my 3rd GGM

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Murfomurf, May 15, 2020.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

I have never located a baptism/birth record for this grandmother. I have assumed that her parents were George Hadley and Ann Guest from groupings of names in the England 1841/51 censuses and from her marriage. She married William Harvey/Hervey on
    25 May 1806 at St Martin's Church, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England; FHL 0919779-781, 0919782, 0919783

With William being born in 1784 in Halesowen, Worcestershire/Shropshire I assume Obedience's birth date is somewhere around then.

I have proven DNA matches with people descended from individuals either side of her dates but her birth remains elusive.

Sandiep and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

How about this one: 22 April 1787 at Halesowen, Bede HADLEY (female), mother Elizabeth HADLEY.

Janet

Murfomurf and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Murfomurf

Thanks @janetbooth, that looks interesting. I will have to check out Elizabeth as a possible mother as she doesn't seem to be around the people who are usually with Obedience and William. Bede is a weird version of Obedience! It is usually a male and Obedience can be contracted to Bidey, but who knows with old records? Where was this record??

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

The first thing that crossed my mind is that Obedience sounds like a Quaker name. Is that a possibility?? Have no idea where that came from, btw, other than the Salem witch tales. You would have to know Salem to get that, lol.

Murfomurf and GrannyBarb like this.
  5. Murfomurf

@Figgs I think they MAY have been Quakers as the family has a lot of Obedience, Prudence and Patience with quite a few Baptisms found in Non Conformist registers. A bunch went to the USA as well. Maybe there are some separate NC registers that have not been transcribed yet.

Figgs likes this.
  6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I used to act in amateur theatre and we did the play on the Salem Witch trials and yes, Patience and Prudence were common names there. I must check the history on the area bc I think Quakers and Non Conformists were very similar.

My grandmother used to tell people she was Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) and Quaker! Not!! Grandma was a fibber, lol. She didn’t know she had a very different ancestry....it was German from New Jersey and Her grandfather was United Empire a Loyalist..UEL for short.

7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a tree on Family Search. Marriage of George Hadley and Ann Guest 31 Jan 1785 Northfield Worcestershire George born c1767 Ann c1765.
    Thomas 1785, John 1788-1851, Mary 1791-1801, Hannah 1795, William 1798, Ann 1800, Jane 1803, Elizabeth 1806. No Obedience.

Chimp likes this.
  8. janetbooth

The baptism at Halesowen for Bede is a transcription on both Ancestry & FMP. What is interesting though are a couple of other baptismal transcriptions at Halesowen, one on 8 November 1772, daughter of John HADLEY & Arey - could this be a mistranscription of Amy? - and the other on 10 January 1796 at Oldbury Chapel, daughter of William HADLEY & Anne. Looks as though it is a forename that runs in various Hadley families.

Janet

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. Archie's Mum

John Hadley born 1788 son of George and Ann married Ann Allen born 1791. Ann was the daughter of Francis Allen and Ann Bouckley. One of their children was Obedience Allen born 1797. Not that it means anything but I would consider George Hadley 1767 Johns father having a sister Obedience. His father was William and his mother was Elizabeth. Hence Janet’s discovery of Bede Hadley, mother Elizabeth.
    BTW John Hadley and Ann Allen had 21 children :eek:
    All from Family Search trees so caution.

10. janetbooth

Looking to try to trace who might be the parents of Elizabeth HADLEY, there is a baptism at Halesowen on 16 November 1759 of an Elizabeth daughter of John & Eary HADLEY. Given that they named a daughter Bede in 1772, it would seem possible that they might be your Obedience's grandparents, although this would need further research on your part as there are also a couple of other baptisms in the 1760's for a Betty HADLEY at Halesowen. There is a burial at Halesowen on 2 December 1787 for an Elizabeth HADLEY which could be relevant to you. Sources Ancestry & FMP. Just found the marriage at Halesowen on 8 May 1758 for John HADLEY & Arey CARTER.

Janet

Murfomurf likes this.
  11. Murfomurf

I have looked at most, if not all of those baptisms and marriages both on FreeReg and FamilySearch and I still can't make them work with the people I have as Obedience's siblings- so perhaps I have them all wrong and should switch to the alternative that you have sussed out. Perhaps I will go away and make some logic tables with all the possibilities as I have not looked at the alternatives for 12 months or more- they might make more sense now. It is also weird that just 20 years after Obedience was born the recorders of church information suddenly had no trouble with her name on her marriage!

Chimp likes this.
  12. Archie's Mum

Baptisms to John and Arey, Eary,Ary...
    Bede 1772
    Elizabeth 1759
    George 1761
    Mary 1766
    Phebe 1776
    John 1768
    There could be more.

13. Archie's Mum

I wonder if this is Arey, Eary.... Ele Carter 1 October 1738 father James Carter mother Rebecca. There is a sister Phebe 31 October 1736, Joseph 4 March 1740

14. Murfomurf

I had a look on the IGI and the Bede (if she is Obedience) born 1772 married a John Finch.
    Obedience Hadley
    Sex
    Female
    Birth
    about 1772
    of Hales-Owen, Worcs., Eng.
    MARRIAGES (1)
    Spouse

John Finch
    Marriage
    1 July 1793
    Hales-Owen, Worcs., Eng.

I need one who married a William Harvey and had a child baptised in 1811:
    George Harvey [my GGGF]
    Baptism 28 Jul 1811
    Place: Halesowen,Worcester,England
    Father: William Harvey

There is also this Obedience Hadley:
    Obedience Hadley
    Sex
    Female
    Birth
    about 1768
    of Hales-Owen, Worcs, Eng.
    Mother: Obedience
    FHL Film Number: 886632, 886633, 886634

15. Murfomurf

Finally located Obedience's death/burial record in FreeReg., giving her an approximate age of 50 at death, or 1787 as birth date.
    FreeReg
    County Worcestershire
    Place Halesowen
    Church St John the Baptist
    Reg type Parish Register
    Reg entry No.968
    Burial 8 Jan 1837
    Burial person Obedience HARVEY
    Person age 50
    Abode Oldbury
    Transcr Stephen Southall
    File line No.959

16. janetbooth

This would then seem to point to her being the daughter of Elizabeth HADLEY, i.e. the Bede baptised on 22 April 1787 at Halesowen. There is nothing on FreeReg that I can find for an Obedience/Bede baptism 5 years either side of 1787, there is only the one on FMP in 1787 using the same criteria, and an Ancestry search brings up the same baptism in 1787 as well. However, just to set the cat among the pigeons somewhat, I have found a death registration for an Obedience HADLEY in the December qtr 1851 at Warwick Union reg district, aged 63, but I cannot find her in either the 1841 or 1851 census with any certainty to see if she is married or where she hailed from! Ah I think I have found a Monumental Inscription for her at Leamington Spa, Spencer Street Burial Ground, which states that the stone is badly weathered, so I think the year shown on the transcription is incorrect: Obedience HADLEY died 22 November 1871, aged 71. There is no death registration for her in the year 1871 and Leamington comes within the Warwick reg district. I have finally found her in the 1851 census of Leamington (HO107/2072, folio 238, page 36) shown as Bade HADLEY, aged 50, an unmarried Domestic Servant, born Halesowen. I think I am developing a headache! So this Bede HADLEY is born in Halesowen somewhere between 1780 (MI) & 1801 (1851 census) with 1788 thrown in between (death registration). If the 1851 census is more or less correct and if the age on the MI is incorrect and should read 51 (lots of ifs) this Obedience is most likely to be the daughter of William & ANN baptised in 1796, but ….. Brilliant, she left a Lichfield Will Condicon which is on FMP so cannot give you full details but names her brother George HADLEY of Halesowen, Labourer, as her Executor. The upshot of which being that this Obedience looks to be a red herring as far as the baptism in 1787 at Halesowen daughter of Elizabeth is concerned. Phew!!

Janet

Murfomurf likes this.
  17. Murfomurf

Also @janetbooth, being a Spinster at death rules her out as my 3rd GGM! I might have a further dig in the IGI.