Occasional Copy: A

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Chimp, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Does anyone know what the above means on the GRO register of Births

OLDBURY, MARY ANN
    MMN: HARTSHORN
    GRO Reference: 1842 D Quarter in KNIGHTON Volume 26 Page 228
    Occasional Copy: A

OLDBURY, MARY ANN
    MMN: HARTSHORN
    GRO Reference: 1842 D Quarter in KNIGHTON Volume 26 Page 229

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

From the Lost Cousins newsletter of last December:

New GRO indexes: what is an 'occasional copy'?

If you've been frantically making use of the new online indexes of births and deaths you'll probably have come across the wording 'occasional copy' in the search results. I had a shrewd idea what this might mean, but rather than guess I invited the GRO to provide an explanation:

These are going to be instances where the original registration has been amended in some way, requiring an “occasional copy” to be sent to the Registrar General (ie to supersede the original Quarterly Certified Copy).

They won’t be late registrations, which would be sent in with the Quarterly Certified returns for the relevant quarter.

Family historians being inquisitive souls, we inevitably wonder what change has been made - so I also asked whether it would be possible to obtain a copy of the original entry:

If a change has resulted in a re-registration of a birth, the new entry effectively supersedes the earlier one. The earlier entry remains in the index, but would have to be identified in the usual way and a copy of that earlier entry specifically ordered.

GRO would routinely issue the latest entry unless the customer specifically requests and references the earlier entry and if the earlier entry was provided, GRO would enclose a covering letter stating that this Certificate cannot be used for Official Purposes.

Joby, Eve, Bay Horse and 4 others like this.
  3. Chimp

Oh thanks Jan. Makes me wonder now what was changed.

Eve, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

:D

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

That's the idea Lad, to keep you guessing & maybe ask for the original-if you have the details :D.

Chimp likes this.
  6. Chimp

Nope, not getting it :D

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  7. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Maybe they just got the page number wrong? I don't see how 228 can supersede 229 if they had to write another entry.

Jane :confused:

Chimp likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Is it that the earlier one 228 being superseded by 229 was given the 'Occasional Copy: A' to show that although the original the latter was now the main entry?

Chimp likes this.
  9. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

These are going to be instances where the original registration has been amended in some way, requiring an “occasional copy” to be sent to the Registrar General (ie to supersede the original Quarterly Certified Copy).

Ooh, why do officials not speak proper English?
    I take the above to mean that the "original Quarterly Certified Copy" (in this case page 229) has been replaced/superseded by the "occasional copy" (in this case page 228).

Maybe, just maybe, this was the scenario:
    - The local Registry Office submits their report to GRO as
    "Oldbury, Mary Ann ... Knighton vol 26 page 229 "
    - They later realise the page number is wrong & inform GRO that it is page 228

I assume the "page numbers" on bdm's refer to the page in the original/local registration book?

... Or am I just being a dog with a bone ...
    Should do something else!

Jane
    (Woof Woof!) Please can we have a doggy icon?

FUN.jpg

Ma-dotcom, Sis, LianeH and 4 others like this.
  10. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the page numbers in the GRO index are assigned by the GRO when all the quarterly returns have been received and collated, rather than by the local register offices.

I'm basing this thought on:
    (a) if you order a certificate from a register office using info from one of the local UKBMD sites, the reference number bears no relation to the GRO reference, but probably does relate to the page numbers in the original registers;
    (b) each volume (as in the GRO reference - in this case 26; later they changed to something like 4d, 9a etc) includes multiple registration districts, so individual districts wouldn't know which numbers to use.

The collation process won't happen overnight, so in this case I suspect the GRO had almost completed it but not assigned the page numbers when the amended page came in from Knighton, so they were able to insert it immediately after the incorrect one and number it accordingly.

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Chimp and 1 other person like this.