Odard De Logis, Earl of Wigton

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Nightryder, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Like most of us I use family search a lot and have started a tree, I like the software and have found their hints helpfull, Ive looked at my tree recently to find they have added a lot of people. They have taken my Kirkbride line back to an Anna de Kirkbride born 1185 who married an Adam de Wigton, this line goes back to an Odard de logis 1095-1199 who was the Earl of Wigton, wow, thats going to keep me busy a while,.trying to sort that lot out.

Bay Horse, MollyMay, AnnB and 4 others like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a lot of information about him, Odard, on a Geni tree as well. The tree is owned by a fellow with a Scandinavian name. The family seems very interesting.

Nightryder likes this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

They certainly look like an interesting family, and rather a nice one, at that. From the Wigton Advertiser 20th February 1926

If as stated it [Wigton Church] was founded by Odard de Legit; the old Church dates back to the time when the light of history first fell on Wigton at the beginning of the reign of King Henry I. This Odard was first owner of the barony of Wigton, which then comprised the "five towns" of Wigton, Waverton, Dundraw, Blencogo, and Kirkbride. He was a man of great influence, sheriff of Carlisle, seneschal of the King's Lieutenant on the Border, and held important positions under the Crown in Northumberland and elsewhere. The late Dr Wilson, in his lecture, "A Walk Round Wigton Pump," stated that Odard had been dead for nearly 800 years, but his Christian benevolence was as fresh and green today as when he walked Wigton streets or flew his hawks at Waverton. It was Odard de Logis who founded the Parish Church of Wigton and made provision for the support of a priest who should give religions ministrations, "without money and without price," to the inhabitants of the town. Odard was a rich man, and the provision he made for the church that he built was munificent. Parliament at one time confiscated some of it, but this was certain at all events, that the ancient endowments, which now belong to the Vicar and people of Wigton, originally came from the pocket of Odard de Logis, that the inhabitants might have a priest to minister to their spiritual requirements. Wigton Church remained a comparatively rich rectory almost as long as the family of Wigton lasted for over two centuries. The last of the line, Lady Margaret - who was married four times and survived her last husband - died in 1348 without heir, and the barony of Wigton was escheated to the lords of Cockermouth, with whom it still remains. Sixteen years before her death the Lady Margaret conveyed the rectory to the monks of the Abbey of Holm Caltram; the Church ceased to be a rectory and was made a vicarage, and the patronage transferred to the Bishop of Carlisle. A stipend was set aside for the new Vicar and his successors for ever, and the rest of the revenues of the Church went to the monks on condition that they should allot stipends for two curates to serve in the Church, and also to maintain four monks in the Abbey itself to pray for the Lady Margaret and her ancestor.

4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Wow, lucky you. I hope you can sort it all out.:):)

Nightryder likes this.