Oelgarte from Aschersleben

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Kay, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

Hi, seeking any information about husbands family from Germany. Name Frieda Hedwig Oelgarte born 1927 migrated to Australia after marrying Petro Paul Mytka, he was born Rogozno Ukraine in 1913.

2. she04

she04 Active Member

www.christoph.stoepel.net gives u variants of the spelling of yr surname. It also gives u a number of people living in that area. Most popular area for yr surname is Landkreis Aschersleben-Strassfurt , there are 59. If yr looking living relatives, it has to be an emergency n u have to prove yr connection to them via Meldestelle Registry Office. But I've been told all libraries world wide have telephone directories for Germany. If its tracing ancestors, its same as here. They keep church records for bmd. Il try n look churches in the area, but it would help if u knew what religion.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Kay likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Hi Kay,
    I'm guessing that as they were WW11 displaced persons (found on passenger manifest for the Castle Bianco) they would have taken out citizenship. Have you access to their papers?
    If so then that may put some light, or not, on a few questions that you may have.
    Had a look on National Archives but information pertaining to their entry is not yet digitised.

Kay likes this.
  4. Kay

Kay New Member

Thank you for the link, I am not 100%, her husband was catholic but she could have been lutheran. None of her children, and she had quite a few, know any more than I do. not even grandparents names :(

she04 likes this.
  5. she04

she04 Active Member

It may take a while. Lutheran kirches more popular, n if I remember from living in Munster myself, there is practically 1 on each corner of each street in the town center. Il give it a go. But what us going for u, is its not a common surname the way u have spelt it. Without the e on the end is v popular.

6. she04

she04 Active Member

Have found out if u want to trace back starting with frieda's wedding, u have to contact the kirche (church) yrself n offer a donation. Helpful tip - they speak n read English v well so request does not need to be made in german. Plus if yr donation is in dollars, they answer ur request no or yes n info, but do not pay donation till u get a response. I've heard friends make requests n paid donations n not hear anything back. Now this could b costly for u. Yr best bet would b to trace a living a relative n they get info for u. Or someone visit the churches on yr behalf. U defo need more info on the area of aschersleben to start a search as it is vast n too many Lutheran kirches. Sorry but hope this helps.