Off we go again

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by LianeH, Oct 21, 2018.

1. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

On our travels that is but this time with a twist;)

Not ones to do things by half, hubby and I are both quitting our jobs in December (Alan needs to de-stress from commuting to a stressful job in London). So having Christmas at home then in January we are off to the Far East for seven weeks (a good way to de-stress:)).

We are starting off in Chiang Mai, then on to Sukhothai, Loei, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Ratchasima, Sri Ayutthaya, Kanchanaburi, Bangkok, Koh Samui, Krabi, Phuket, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Langkawi, then finish in Singapore.

The twist is that when we get home we are relocating 'up north' to the Peak District, around the Chesterfield area. So not only will we be packing up this house, looking for another up there we will also be job hunting but we will have lots of beautiful countryside to get into in our spare time, lots of hill walking, cycling etc (might finally get fit:D:D). We have both lived in Essex (which is as flat as a pancake) for most of our lives and are bored and want interesting countryside to get into. The good news is once we are settled my mum will probably move too:) oooh hubby has also said if we can sort out jobs we might even get a dog woo hoo

Do you think we are bonkers because I think we might slightly be but at the end of the day, health and happiness (I feel) are more important than money.

On top of all that we are off to Sweden over the new year for our best friends 50th birthday trip, so leave cold England head to colder Sweden, home to slightly warmer England then off to hot and humid Far East before coming home to freezing England - think I will end up with a cold:D:D

Right off to start packing some more boxes - bubblewrap here I come:D

Eve, Sandiep, Findem and 13 others like this.
  2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Good for you, if you have a dream then follow it. Don't live life on 'what if's'.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your trips and move.

Don't get sidetracked popping the wrap :D

Half Hour, Figgs, AnnB and 4 others like this.
  3. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Haha Alan is away on his boys fishing weekend and I have been left unsupervised:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sis, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Wow! Excellent decision!

I did exactly the same thing (but on a far smaller scale ;)) 6 and a half years ago: took early retirement, sold up, moved house and have visited New Zealand as well as having had a few European holidays. Already had a dog, but I now live in the county that has the most wooded areas in the country.

Quality of life is the most important thing but remember - we will all still be here to share in your new life. ():-)

Half Hour, Figgs, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  5. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Sadly not able to retire just yet but maybe work part time which would work better with a dog.

New Zealand - jealous that is on our wish list but definitely a retirement trip.

Of course we all share in each others dreams, trials, tribulations and triumphs and I couldnt think of a better bunch of friends to share this with():-)

Figgs, Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and 3 others like this.
  6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Go for it! Life's too short to lived it stressed out and wondering what it would have been like if only we had ............................?
    I wish you both all the best for whatever comes your way, it all sounds wonderful. {-(^^)-}

Figgs, Ma-dotcom, Bonzo Dog and 2 others like this.
  7. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

How many of us dream of getting away from it all for an extended period, and how few of us actually dare to live the dream. I applaud your courage and hope you both have a wonderful time. Hopefully, when you do eventually return things will turn out so you can have your little dog, preferably a rescue mutt.

Bon voyage, may good fortune go with you all the way.

Figgs, Ma-dotcom, Sis and 2 others like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not travelling as yet because I have a very elderly mother but we did pull up city stumps and planted ourselves 3 hours away in sheep country. We moved here 5 months ago at the start of the coldest winter here in years and a really intense drought. The surrounds were burnt brown from frosts and lack of moister but you should see it now........some lovely rain and it is coming alive again. We have slotted right into the community. Found new friends and reacquainted ourselves with others we have known for many years. Including my cousin who I never really had much to do with as our mothers didn’t get along. So glad I have got to know him again. The best thing we have ever done. We love it and don’t even miss where we lived before. Lots of work to fix up the garden but with a sick hubby at the moment I will have to be patient and take it slowly. You will never regret your move. Nor your travels but beware the humidity......:eek:
    Well done, don’t look back.

Figgs, Bonzo Dog, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  9. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I can only concur with what has already been written. It sounds like you have thought it through and now it is time to 'do it'. What a wonderful adventure, to start a year of adventures of, on. I am sure you will find your dream home in the Peak District and get that 4 legged friend too, and life will then be just perfect for both of you.
    Good Luck and most of all embrace every new part of this, your whole new life,
    together.

Sue x

10. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Remember you saying about your move as I know you were undecided on areas but I am really pleased that you are happy with your new life and new friends and how lovely to reconnect with your cousin again. Take things slow with hubby and carry on enjoying life. We need pictures of your beautiful new garden (not that this un-green fingered person jnows whats weed or not:D)

Wishing hubby a steady and continued recovery to full, health():-)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Figgs, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  11. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I'm in the go-for-it camp Liane, especially the move. As others have said, if you can and want to, then follow your dreams. There's no point in getting to a point in your lives where you can only say "If only.......".

The very best of everything for your future - and remember wherever you go, we are still here :rolleyes: :D

Bonzo Dog, Sis, Archie's Mum and 3 others like this.
  12. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Good on you, Liane.

My friend has just relocated. Sold absolutely everything, having built up what many would say was her dream home, and after one or two changes of plan, relocated to Cornwall. Just like that - 'let's do it... now'.

It's something hubby and I have talked about, but we are tied here for now. Hubby loathes his job, and lost a colleague in the workplace a month or so ago, which has put a lot of things into perspective. Cumbria is our spiritual home; we'd love to end up there.

My friend lives in Chiang Mai. Someone else who fancied a change of scene, upped and went. And why not. You only get a short time on this earth. :)

Figgs, LianeH, Sis and 4 others like this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Absolutely Brilliant Liane. You & him know how to do it so go & enjoy before you need to pick up sticks & travel North. I also have a small fondness for Derbyshire from family meanderings on Hubbies side, but my cousin -Maternal side- & his wife have toured about there & shown some beautiful photos.

Do you think you can stretch to a kitty cat companion for your dog? or will that get in the way of future meanderings? ...Kitten kennels in Chesterfield areas?
    {-(^^)-}
    Go do..

Sis and Chimp like this.
  14. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Probably not as although I love cats I am allergic but they always seem to make a bee line for me although saying that Iam not allergic to long haired cats like Persians so who knows.

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  15. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

So happy for you, Liane! :) Wishing you and Alan the very best. Please send pictures of your adventures! :cool:
    Green-eyed monster, here. :D

16. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Good for you!! Do it now while you are young enough to thoroughly enjoy it!! We did a lot of travelling to Europe. The UK and West Indies but sticking to 2 favourite spots in Canada now.

My niece works for IKEA and she travels all over the world! She loved living in Kuala Lumpur and has now taken a 3-year assignment in India (not my cup of tea).

So have a wonderful life doing all the lovely things you have decided on. I envy you!! But will just read your travelogues on here and sigh wistfully!! Huge hugs for daring to live your dreams, Little One!! Best of everything to you and Alan!!
    8(:-)():-)

Ma-dotcom, Chimp, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  17. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Thank you Heather, maybe one day we will make it to the other side of Canada and we can meet up for coffee, cake and a natter():-)

18. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Oh Liane, what a wonderful adventure ahead for you both. I really do envy you. Bill and I were lucky that we did lots of things we wanted to do before his health fell apart so we don't have many regrets. We have always worked on the principle that if you want to do it, you can afford to do it and you are well enough to do it then GO FOR IT!! Tomorrow you might not be able to (as happened with us).

I envy you most the Asian leg of your adventure (closely followed by moving house). I absolutely love Asia, the tropics - and the humidity!!

Take care but have fun.

Ma-dotcom, Bonzo Dog, LianeH and 4 others like this.
  19. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Well, Liane and Alan, you guys never ceased to amaze me -- and now this latest adventure. What can I say except "GOOD LUCK, GOOD HEALTH & WONDERFUL MEMORIES" and that you'll come back to us when you are good and ready. In the meantime plan carefully, the time will fly and you'll be travelling sometime in 2019 so will see what the future holds when you return.

Looking forward to your travel-log.

20. Mrs Huma

Mrs Huma Canadian Cousin!

Liane and Alan,

I applaud your decision. Get out of the stress, tour through SE Asia, move to Yorkshire, find new jobs, go hiking and enjoy life.

You had such a good time on last years tour, I'm sure 2019's tour will be just as good.

And....we just got back from Vegas and had a great time. :D (there is no emoticon for a raspberry here. LOL)

Wendy & Dave

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.