Oh, the price of Prince(s) in the family

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by Half Hour, May 14, 2013.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I recently got the marriage certificate for the marriage of Joseph Prince (30) to Elizabeth Morgan(23) on Jan. 31, 1865 at the Parish Church in the parish of Ballingham in Herefordshire.. I was searching for their fathers' first names. We will start with Joseph's father. The certificate states his first name was William and he was a labourer. Going by the census for 1871, 1881 and 1891 ( the only ones where I can find Joseph for certain) he was born in Somerset and one even says Wanstrow, Somerset.
    They also all give his year of birth as, 1831 or 1836...
    1871..living in Westbury on Severn, Newnham, RG 26/4/2600/1
    1881...living Westbury on Severn RG 22/2523/69/6
    1891.. Two Bridges, Westbury on Severn RG 22/2005/136/6
    Well..Now, more fun.
    This is the maternal side of my late father-in-law. The paternal side also has Prince from Wanstrow and I have a lot of them on the family tree. Checking both the 1841 census and the 1851 census I cannot find a father William Prince with a son Joseph. I have searched several Parish Registers for Somerset and cannot find a baptism in the correct year(s) for a Joseph with a father William.
    Can anyone help me connect Joseph to a William so I can start to search further back?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Ignoring the DOB, have you seen this Sue?

FreeREG: Joseph son of Willm & Sarah Prince. Baptised at St Mary the Virgin, Batcombe 30 March 1828. Batcombe is about 3 miles from Wanstrow.

Half Hour likes this.
  3. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

I think this might be Joseph in 1841 aged 10.
    H0107/438/6/18/5
    It seems to be a school called Lawn House, High road, Southgate, East Barnet. there is a Joseph Prince mis-transcribed as Prime (in my opinion!). He is not of county as are loads of the children there. If parent(s) were dead it might explain why you cannot find them as a family. The Genealogist allows for a family search and you can simply put in the forenames and see what comes up. I cannot find anything for a William/Joseph combo in the right sort of areas.

Half Hour likes this.
  4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Hi Flook...
    Never saw that one I know there was a Wiliam who married a Sarah and one of Joseph's daughters was a Sarah. As for ages...well, you never know. ( My own grandmother's birth date is out by 2 years on her death reg.) The Prince family is one of those families that used the same forenames over and over and over again and all had big families as well......
    Blackmogs.... I will check that out as well
    Thank you both...