Palmer family

Discussion in 'Glamorgan' started by mugwortismy cat, Mar 20, 2021.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Have started looking at my tree again. Somehow I have ended up in the Palmer family, they are an offshoot of my Bartram family from Norfolk -- Sarah Bartram married Jesse Woods in 1801.Their daughter Mary married John Palmer in 1833.

i seem to be jumping around all over the place, but am trying to focus on the family of their son James (Mar 1840 St Pancras), before him were Sarah Anne (1835 Burston) and George (1837 Burston) (I know I should have started with Sarah and been systematic :rolleyes:)

The family were in Burston Norfolk in 1841; twin daughters Catherine Phillis and Rachel Emma were born in Shimpling Norfolk on 14 Oct that year (baptised in Burston)
    *Burston is the birthplace of John and Shimpling the birthplace of Mary

They are in Bristol by 1843 as that is where Mary Jane is born, followed by John. They are in Bristol for a number of years, Mary dies in 1854 and John remarries. The family move to Brislington Somerset.

Now why on earth am I posting in Glamorgan you ask?

It's James's eldest Jesse James, born 1861 Bristol (Clifton), he's a bit of a naughty lad. He gets married aged 30, in 1892 to 18 year old Beatrice Blewett, he's a ship steward (His name is spelled Jessy James Palmer, he names his father as James George Palmer, but i think that is because he has a brother James George and he assumed they shared names). The marriage is in Swansea -- so we have reached Glamorgan at last.

1901 sees Beatrice and three children in South Shields, County Durham, children are Francis Frank, Florence Louisa, and baby 'Mary E' (who is registered as Beatrice and called that on any other records I have seen). Jesse must be at sea, he's not at home and I can't see him elsewhere.

1903 in Swansea sees Jesse doing 1 month hard labour for leaving his wife and family dependent on Swansea Union. The criminal record has his name as Jas. Jesse -- I'd like to know if there is more to be found on this.

1911 again no obvious sign of Jesse: Beatrice is living in Swansea with two brothers and her widowed mother, there is now a 4th child Selina Norena born 1905 (so did Beatrice reconcile with Jesse, and has he deserted her again?)

I cannot find a death for Jesse, I can't find out what happened to his wife Beatrice either. I thought Selina would be easy to trace but I have nothing. Am working on the other children

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

No help with Jesse or Beatrice, I'm afraid. :(

However, I did find Florence.

She appears to have married a Walter EDWARDS in the June Quarter of 1922 in Swansea (11a/2139) and the pair may be found in the 1939 Register at 4 David Williams Terrace, Swansea.

Her birth was registered in the March quarter of 1896 and this Florence Edwards has the dob of 25th January 1896, which fits nicely. They also have a son, Thomas John, who was born in 1926.

Florence died in the March quarter of 1986 in Swansea.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

Thank you @Daft Bat much appreciated, I spent yesterday on Francis Frank, so I'll follow through on your info on Florence today

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Could daughter Beatrice have married a Sidney J LEAKER? Marriage registration at Swansea in 1922 for a Beatrice PALMER & Sidney J LEAKER. 1939 Register shows them living in Falmouth, Cornwall, Beatrice's dob shown as 1 March 1901. Looking on the GRO Index, your Beatrice PALMER's birth was registered at South Shields in the June qtr 1901, so could it have been a late registration?

Janet

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

Thanks Janet, I had noticed that marriage earlier :)

I think a late registration is likely, she's on the 1901 census as Mary, but then they obviously changed their minds and called her Beatrice. Or maybe they didn't like to say she had no name so made one up.

6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

There is a marriage of Beatrice Palmer to Sidney J Leaker Dec qtr 1922 Swansea 11a 2080
    This couple can be found in 1939 - Tresawle Road, Falmouth, Cornwall with children
    Beatrice's dob is 9/3/1901.
    Sidney John is older, dob 21/3/1873 and previously married to another Beatrice b1883
    He also had a couple of run-ins with the law, but was found not guilty
    From electoral registers it looks like this couple moved from Wales to Cornwall around 1930

I am a bit late with the info;)

7. janetbooth

Bit tortuous, but could Beatrice senr have returned to her native Cornwall? 1939 Register shows a widowed Beatrice PALMER living at Bodmin, dob shown as 1 January 1874. Looking on the GRO Index for the baptism of Beatrice BLEWETT (or similar) brings up the one birth registration at Redruth in September qtr 1873, so the dob on the 1939 doesn't tie in with the birth reg but I am having great difficulty finding a likely Beatrice. The birth reg does tie in with the 1881 & 1891 census records of Swansea. Brother James Henry may have returned to Cornwall as a likely candidate is in the Electoral Registers of Cornwall living at Weeth between 1922 & 1931.

Janet

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  8. mugwortismy cat

Yes, that is the birth reg that I believe is her. Sometimes the birth dates are out in 1939 I find. Perhaps it was someone else's best guess and 1/1/74 is equivalent to abt 1874?

I've not found anything else more convincing so far, so I think you are on to a winner

9. janetbooth

Fingers crossed!!

Janet

10. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

The mother of Beatrice Blewett in 1873 September qtr is Whear.

11. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

The South Shields Beatrice Palmer June qtr 1901 mother is Bluitt.

12. mugwortismy cat

Are these two signatures the same person? Sorry the first one is so small. I think they are I just need a second opinion

Screenshot 2021-03-27 2.03.41 PM.png Screenshot 2021-03-27 2.03.25 PM.png

13. burt

burt Where there's a will there's a way!

I think they are the same person.

MollyMay and mugwortismy cat like this.
  14. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

They certainly look like it. :)

The way that the D and G are written match.

MollyMay and mugwortismy cat like this.
  15. mugwortismy cat

Thank you both :)

burt and Daft Bat like this.
  16. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Can I just add my two penn'orth to them being the same :)

17. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

They look the same.

18. mugwortismy cat

if a Canadian source has a dob written as 1889-02-09, are we talking about a February or a September birth?

19. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Mr Google :-
    Does Canada use mm dd yyyy?
    The Government of Canada recommends that all-numeric dates in both English and French use the YYYY - MM - DD format codified in ISO 8601. ... The YYYY - MM - DD format is the only method of writing a numeric date in Canada that allows unambiguous interpretation, and the only officially recommended format.
    I have no idea what real people do. ;)

20. mugwortismy cat

Can I have help deciphering this please?
    Screenshot 2021-03-29 10.16.00 AM.png

Died May 8th/90 (was knocked down by a train when x through the tunnel? Aldgate HB gate? & x injured April 23.)

? for words I am unsure of
    x for words I can't decipher