Parents with a sense of humour?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Findem, Oct 18, 2020 at 1:54 AM.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Gulis (male) Anny Thing baptised 17 Apr 1685 at Little Leighs, Essex, father Grewlin Thing.

The entry is from Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index, I did note other Thing family members in Little & Great Leighs.

I suspect that Anny might be a transcribing error but it is Essex and the EPRI so who knows.

Gulis might be the local clergy's shortening of the Latin version of William, Gulielmus, what Grewlin is these days is anybody's guess. o_O :D

2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I wonder if Grewlin might be a mangling of Gulielmus, but it's impossible to say for certain on the basis of an index. So much depends on whether they've read the entry correctly and taken account of standard contractions etc - and in this case they seem to have left the name (Gulis, the contracted form) in Latin, and translated the rest into English.

My first thought on seeing Gulis Anny Thing was that he was the illegitimate son of an Ann (though the Latin should then be Annae); if Grewlin Thing is named only at the end of the entry this might still be the case, and having the same surname would be just a coincidence.

Findem and Bay Horse like this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

i daresay the actual PR image might contradict the names, then again perhaps not, just glad he's not one of my lot, no Things so far. :)

arthurk, MollyMay and Archie's Mum like this.