Parish Registers for Epworth Lincolnshire?

Discussion in 'Lincolnshire' started by Findem, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to access the burial register for the above place 1695 to 1698, either online or by purchasing a CD?

I did attempt to see if Parish Chest had a CD but just could not bring up a list, whether due to the imminent change of ownership I don't know.

I have searched for the person (John Reynold) on Lincs to the Past, FMP, Ancestry, Family Search, Tadcaster transcripts and have had a lookup on NBI 3.

I am trying to prove or disprove that the John Renolds and his wife (possibly Susanna) who baptised children in Tadcaster 1698 to 1718 and the John Reinolds and Susanna Pettinger who married in Wroot Lincolnshire 1694 are one and the same.

John Renolds of Tadcaster Yorkshire baptised his first child, John, 30 Oct 1698 at Tadcaster.

John and Susanna Reynolds baptised a son John 26 Dec 1695 at Epworth North Lincolnshire.

Notes
    None of the children of John Renolds baptised at Tadcaster had the mother's name given.
    The reason I think the Tadcaster John Renold's wife might be Susanna is that on Tadcaster transcripts there is a burial for a Susanna Reynolds, aged 99 years, 24 Dec 1769, no further info attached to the entry.
    I could find no other suitable female Re(y)nolds burials on Tadcaster transcripts. Also John named his second daughter Susan, the first daughter was Frances.

Epworth and Wroot in North Lincolnshire are close to each other and just under 50 miles from Tadcaster Yorkshire.

John Reinolds married Susanna Pettinger, widow, otp, 18 Aug 1694 at Wroot Lincolnshire.

I could only find just that one child in the already mentioned sources, John, for the Lincolnshire John and Susanna Reynolds.

In a search for the marriage of the Tadcaster John Renolds the only feasible marriage that surfaced was the Wroot in Lincs marriage.

I have Googled for Epworth PRs but nothing of use come up so it looks as though purchasing a CD is the way to go. I have a gut feeling that the Lincs connection will be a dead end and that in some parish in Lincs there will be more children of John and Susanna Reynolds. If I can't find a burial for the 1695 John I'll have to call it quits on Lincs.

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Epworth comes under the Deanery of the Isle of Axholme

Not sure if this is of any use?

http://www.
    axholme-fhs.org.uk/ECWID2/index.html#!/Epworth-St-Andrew-Burials-1599-1719/p/13497511/category=3132144

I too looked on Parish Chest. They only seem to have Isle of Axholme Deanery - Marriages 1813-1837

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

They are published by the Isle of Axholme FHS, who are not Parish Chest suppliers. :)

I see that Chimp has given you the link. :D

Chimp likes this.
  4. Findem

Thanks Chimp and Jan, later today I'll check the link out.

There must have been a technical glitch when I tried to check out Parish Chest.

Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  5. Findem

I've ordered the CD

Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  6. Malcolm Webb

Malcolm Webb Well-Known Member

Parish registers and other things related to Epworth are available on-line at www dot lincstothepast dot com (the website of Lincolnshire Archives). I could not locate any burial register covering 1695 to 1698 but I did not drill down the site that much.

The site is not easy to navigate unless you know what you are doing.

Go to the site and enter the term "Epworth" in the big search box at the top of the page. A list will appear with more than 10 pages of documents relating to Epworth.

When you choose your document, the new page which appears may appear to be blank. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the link which says "Browse records at the level below this one".

Repeat the scroll-down procedure when the next "blank" page appears, and so on.

The document you want to look at appears in a small screen, but it can be enlarged somewhat to make it readable.

Some years ago I spent ages trying to locate the Parish Registers for Ropsley in Lincolnshire, including on this site which I thought at the time was useless. I went to a Family History Weekend hosted by Lincolnshire Family History Society and a very kind lady there showed me how to use the site.

I hope this helps.

arryboy, Findem and patten-walsh like this.
  7. Findem

Thanks Malcolm, I'll give it a go later. I have btw ordered the CD covering burials 1695 to 1698, I did try to find other children for John & Susanna Reynolds on lincstothepast without success but armed with your directions I'll try again.

8. Findem

Well It finally arrived, 3 months after being posted.

The Epworth Burials 1599 to 1719 has not one burial of a Rennold, Reynold or any other variation of that name in it. Which means that John and Susannah Reynolds probably moved to another parish soon after they had their son John baptised 26 Dec 1695 at Epworth. Guess I'll have to call it quits on the Epworth Reynolds as I mentioned in my post #1.

It's galling, I have the Tadcaster Elizabeth Rennolds who married Oswald Sturdy, her siblings and father but her parent's marriage continues to elude me, so I'll give it a break and a rethink. :headbang:

9. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Oh dear! After that long wait it must be a downer. As you say, give it a bit of break and re-think your search . I have a a couple like that and every 6 months or so I do some searching then they get put on the back burner because some day, YES, SOME DAY I will win out and be on to the next generation back !!!

Findem and MollyMay like this.