Patrick Morgan - Cleator

Discussion in 'Cumberland' started by Ashleen Morgan, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Ashleen Morgan

Ashleen Morgan New Member

Hello all,

I am hoping to do some family research sorrounding my great great grandfather. Hoping someone can help!

His name was Patrick Morgan. Born around 1845 he moved from County Down Northern Ireland around 1861, aged 16, to Cleator, Egremont in Cumberland where he Worked as an iron ore minor.

His first known address in Cleator as of the 1881 census was 23 prospect row, Whitehaven. He had married Elizabeth Doran (also from county down) & had 8 children. Their names were Patrick, eliza, Catherine, Owen, Peter, Mary Ellen, Susan and Anne Jane. There is a one year old grandson noted in the 1911 census, called John Joseph Morgan.

In the 1911 census, Patrick is 70 years old, his address is given as 13 Church Street, Cleator. He is widowed and occupation is noted as 'imprimty'. Not sure what this means, if anyone could shed any light?

We are looking to see if there may be any relatives that we could contact, or possibly find out where Patrick and his wife Elizabeth are buried in Cumbria.

Please contact morgaloysi AT aol DOT com with info.

Many thanks,
    Ashleen

(Email address munged so as to deter spammers :) )

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Ashleen - welcome to the forum. :)

Having looked at the original, I think that it says 'Infirmity', especially as there is no CODOT number in green/blue next to it to denote the occupational category.(CODOT = Classification of Occupation and Directory of Occupational Titles ;) )

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

I see that there is a death registration for a Patrick MORGAN aged 72, in the March quarter of 1913, Whitehaven registration district, volume 10b, page 959. His death certificate should provide a clue as to where he was living at the time and so narrow down likely burial sites.

There is also the death registration for Elizabeth MORGAN aged 50, in the September quarter of 1898, Whitehaven registration district, volume 10b, page 464.

4. Ashleen Morgan

Hello! Thanks so much for you're speedy reply, very much appreciated!

I am very new at this and don't have much information so this is so helpful. How exactly did you get this information? All of my attempts have been unsuccessful so far... Perhaps I need to be paying for a subscription somewhere?

Thanks
    Ashleen

5. Daft Bat

Hi Ashleen - you are welcome. :)

For the death registrations, I checked FreeBMD
    Code:
    http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    It is a free to use website, so no charges but they do ask for donations, which is why I have not posted it as a clicky link ;)

The registration details that I gave you would enable you to purchase a copy of the certificates from the General Register Office. They cost £9.25 each. Click here to access the website.

Ashleen Morgan and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. Ashleen Morgan

This is brilliant! Thank you :)

Will check out the Catholic Churches in Whitehaven and see if I can find where Patrick is buried and go from there!

All the best
    Ashleen

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Daft Bat

You may find this page from GENUKI to be of help as well. :)

Ashleen Morgan likes this.
  8. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I'd second 'infirmity'.

I had a number of ancestors working in the iron ore mines at Cleator Moor and on the railway there.

Ashleen, try St. Mary's church, Cleator.
    www.
    stmarysandstjosephs.org.uk/St._Marys

It would appear that Patrick's children attended St. Mary's school, or rather, didn't! A report appears in the Cumberland Pacquet dated 13th June 1895, where Patrick is handed a fine for 'irregular attendance' of a child at the school.

9. Ashleen Morgan

I will definitely try st. Mary's, thanks a million!

That report sounds like something we would definitely want to see!! Haha. Could you point me towards the website that you used to find this old newspaper report? I was looking at one, but it started asking me to subscribe, so thought I just might ask!

I wonder if there were any other members of Patrick's family that worked in the mines. Would you have any more information that could relate to this? You know better than me!!

Thanks again,
    Ashleen

10. Bay Horse

I've sent you details, Ashleen.

11. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Go to this website then do a search for Morgan. An Elizabeth is there but couldn't find a Patrick.
    Code:
    http://cumberlandbirthmarriagedeaths.yolasite.com/ann-selchick---cumberland-bmds.php

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  12. Bay Horse

Patrick and Elizabeth are listed in Cleator village in 1871, along with baby Patrick (age 3 months), and a lodger, Catherine Morgan (aged 18), a mill hand also born Ireland, who is probably Patrick's younger sister.

RG10; piece: 5261; folio: 23; page: 39.

You may already have this.

Sis likes this.
  13. Bay Horse

Also, check the 1851 census.
    Class: HO107; Piece: 2436; Folio: 322; Page: 4

Patrick Morgan, born Ireland, age 10, living with father Patrick b. 1809 and mother Catherine b. 1807. The family are at 12 Patterson Buildings. Whitehaven.

Sis and Daft Bat like this.