Pegg Family - Corn Park, Mayfield

Discussion in 'Staffordshire' started by Kirsty Catalano, May 25, 2017.

1. Elsiesgirl

Elsiesgirl Well-Known Member

I've just come across this post. My granddaughter's husband is descended from Agathos Daniel Pegg, who was head gamekeeper at Calke Abbey in North Staffordshire. Calke Abbey is a country estate, now is open to the public. I've looked a bit into his family but haven't found a Joseph.

Ma-dotcom and Kirsty Catalano like this.
  2. Elsiesgirl

Just looked at the map and Mayfield is nowhere near Calke Abbey but Pegg seems to be a Staffordshire name. They could be distantly related

Ma-dotcom and Kirsty Catalano like this.
  3. Kirsty Catalano

Kirsty Catalano Active Member

Hi there! Thanks for your reply! I haven't heard of Agathos Daniel Pegg before. Agathos is not a common name in the family but there could still be a connection. Do you know when Agathos was born?

4. Elsiesgirl

He was born in 1876 in Ticknall, Derbyshire and his father Augustus was born in 1839 in Melton, Norfolk. The men in the family all seemed to be gamekeepers so must have moved with the job. Pegg must have also been a Norfolk name. If you find a link to Agathos there was an article in the National Trust Magazine last year, he was Person of the Month. You may find it on google if you input National Trust but I'm not very computer literate to send you a link.

5. Elsiesgirl

I've looked and most Pegg families came from Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Warkwickshire, Leicestershire and North Norfolk