Pembrokeshire Parish Records help

Discussion in 'Pembrokeshire' started by The Artful Dodger, Aug 18, 2013.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

In 'my past life' I received a lot of help researching Parish Records. Now that help has dried up!!

Who is willing to assist - I have lots to seek on my wife's behalf?

Colin

2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

I am sorry to hear that your sources of help have dried up. I can't offer any help with Pembrokeshire, I'm afraid, but can only suggest some "self help" options:

FreeReg, which has data for many Pembrokeshire parishes.

Findmypast's Wales collection: for details of coverage see http://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/content/welsh-collection/parish-registers

Welsh newspapers online
    http://www.
    llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=4723

Welsh wills pre-1858
    llgc.org.uk/?id=487

Eve and The Artful Dodger like this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

Have checked FMP, but nothing jumped out at me, unfortunately, so looks like I may have buy some certificates to start the ball rolling.

Catherine Morgans
    Is my wife's 2nd Great Grandmother. She married Timothy Rees Thomas in Paddington, London on 5 September 1880. Their 1st child - William Arthur - was born 10 February 1881, in Paddington.
    On her marriage certificate, she indicated that her father was James Morgans - Labourer - and that she was aged 26. This would indicate a year of birth as 1854.
    On the 1861 census - RG9/4165/50/6 - there is a Catharine Morgans age 7, with parents James [Ag. Lab.] and Mary and 2 younger siblings - Thomas and Mary Ann. Her place of birth is listed as Wiston, Pembrokeshire.
    On the 1871 census - RG10/5529/21/1 - she is now a Servant age 18 and enumerated as Catherine - born Wiston.
    All census details are care of TNA crown copyright.

The only marriage of a James Morgans that seems to fit is one in Narberth, Pembrokeshire, 4th q. 1852 - vol. 11a, page 953. On the same page is a Mary Jinkins.

I'm not sure that Narberth and Wiston are neighbouring parishes and neither can I find a convincing birth registration for Catherine/Catharine in Wiston 1853-1854.

Suggestions please on how to proceed.

Colin

4. Huncamunca

Remember that the places mentioned in the GRO index are registration districts, not necessarily the parish where the marriage took place. To find out which places were covered by a particular registration district, you can click on the district name (if using FreeBMD) or use the index on Genuki here:

ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Wiston would have been in the registration district of Haverfordwest. There is a birth registration in that district in Q2 1853 for a Catherine Morgans. Could she be yours?

The James Morgans / Mary Jinkins marriage is on FMP (scanned image of register available) so you can see for yourself exactly where they married. Without getting Catherine's birth certificate I don't think you can be sure they are her parents.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  5. The Artful Dodger

Looks possible - the birth in Haverfordwest, that is. Hopefully it is mine and will confirm the mother as Mary - maiden name Jinkins and father as James an Ag. Lab.

Will you know once it arrives.

6. The Artful Dodger

Have seen the image - her name is transcribed as SINKINS and her father's name is transcribed as SENKINS.
    They married 16 November 1852 in Clarbeston, Pembrokeshire.

Will just have to wait on the birth cert.

Colin

7. Huncamunca

Colin, I was just googling on the offchance of finding more about this family and found a very long thread on another forum, with some contributions from people not a million miles away:

british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/68572-My-Wife-s-Welsh-ancestors-a-headache

I only got as far as page 3, but there (in post #28) is a very likely looking baptism for Catherine Morgan (no 's' on the end), at Clarbeston. This was a transcript from FamilySearch by the look of it, but perhaps you will be able to see the original on Findmypast now.

It might be a good idea to study that thread carefully in case you already have some of the answers.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  8. The Artful Dodger

That was a thread I started back in 2011, just after my dad died. Post #21 got my goat - and my last post was on 5 June 2011.

2011 was a year of unending turmoil and in the 2 years since, I've totally lost track of what went on. I'll study the thread in detail - but it's too late to save me any money as thecert. has been ordered.

Thank you for reuniting me to my old thread

9. Huncamunca

I should have thought of googling before I tried to answer, Colin. By trying to help I only seem to have caused you additional expense. I think I had better stop trying to be helpful.:(

10. The Artful Dodger

Don't stop helping, please!!!

I wasn't complaining, which you may have thought - I'm the one that was forgetful so that is my loss and no fault is being laid at your doorstep.():-)

Colin

Huncamunca likes this.
  11. The Artful Dodger

I have studied that thread as well as comparing those details to my family tree and also the information provided by my late sister-in-law. Sadly nothing is adding up and making sense - at least, not to me, anyway.

So I'm just going to wait until I get the birth certificate.

Colin

12. Huncamunca

I am too tired to tackle that long thread, Colin (it's almost my bedtime). I can't see Clarbeston baptisms on Findmypast, but some of them are indexed on FamilySearch. If you try searching for surname Morgan (without an 's'), parents James Morgan and Mary, in Clarbeston you should find four baptisms which may be of interest.

13. The Artful Dodger

You are correct - these were most interesting - even though there was no 's' at the end of the surname. They were all Clarbeston baptisms, no image available and there was no record or image that I could find on FMP.

Clarbeston is a neighbouring parish to Wiston and also Rudbaxton where Catherine was a servant in 1871.

The birth registrations are also reasonaby close to the dates of baptism. They are as follows:
    Catherine - baptism date 12 June 1853. Birth registered in Haverfordwest R.D. vol. 11a page 606.
    Thomas - baptism date 7 June 1857. 4 births registered in Haverfordwest R.D. during the year 1856. I suspect one of these will indicate he is mine
    Mary - baptism date 11 March 1860. Birth registered in Haverfordwest R.D. vol. 11a page 729.
    Elizabeth - baptism date 18 January 1863. The birth that I found is in Pembroke R.D. vol. 11a page 675 and was in the January-March q.1863. Could she have been born abt. December 1862 and due to late registration it was done in Pembroke?

Colin