Percival Bear Ludgvan to Quebec?

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Genie1, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

How true this is I have no idea because the information came from somebody many years ago to a family member and I have recently found that they have been incorrect on other family members.
    Percival Bear was born 1901 in Ludgvan to William John Bear and Rhoda Jane Odgers.
    Rumour has it that he emigrated to Canada in 1925 and died 1966 in Huntingdon, Quebec. He married Louise Albina Lepage.
    Is there anyway at all to sort this out?

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I can't find him in Canada or going there either, but it doesn't mean he didn't. Canadian records are hard to find.

But I can find no trace of him in England after 1911.

Just to add, there was already a Percival Bear born 1901 in Canada, living in Huntingdon, Quebec on the 1911 Census. His parents were William and Hannah. Could he be the Percival who married Louise Albina Lepage ?

On the 1911 Canadian census there is an Albina Lepage, born 1899, Daughter of Oliver & Delia Lepage living in Huntingdon Sub-Districts 1-26, Quebec, Canada

Do you think that somebody went looking for a Percival in Canada and latched onto him?

Maybe best to let the Canadian contingent at this one.

Sis and Genie1 like this.
  3. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I have now found on FMP Percy Beare and Edwin Beare in 1925 leaving for Canada. Last address was Lelant Cornwall.
    Percy had a brother named Edwin R born 1900.
    Both were farm workers.
    Not that it helps at the moment.

Chimp likes this.
  4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

there is a Percy Beare b 1902 went to Canada Quebec 12 June 1925 says they came from Ludgvan the canadian arriving lists are on Ancestry

the marriage for percy and Maria Albina says his parents are John Henry Beare and Rhoda Jane Hodges of Polpero Lelant Cornwall

Sis, Chimp and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Just found that on a Rootschat enquiry....
    'Percy Beare, Hotel Clerk, of this parish, s/o the late John Henry Beare and of Rhoda Jane Hodges of Polpeor, Leland, Cornwall, England to Marie Louise Albina Lepage, of this parish, D/o Olivier Lepage and Delia Riel of this parish.
    At St Josephs R Catholic Church, Huntington Quebec on 29th Dec 1927. They were married by virtue of a dispensation from the impediment of cult...:( (This being Percy was not of the Catholic religion)

Sandiep and Chimp like this.
  6. Archie's Mum

There is another Percy John Beare father John Henry Bear and mother Rhoda Mileham, England. Death certificate on Family Search. Another link to a tree has this Pecry born on Bournemouth in 1987. Died 27th Feb 1927 Prospect TorontoI wouldnt have thought that there would many by that name.......not so.

Sandiep and Chimp like this.
  7. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I found that post on rootschat yesterday but wanted to check that it is correct. Was there a cerificate?
    'My Percy' father was William John Bear and mother was Rhoda Jane Odgers.He would surely know the name of his father.
    I shall have to wait for the 1921 census to see if the family moved to Lelant.
    The person giving this information was completely wrong many years ago when giving the death of William John Bear to a family member.
    She had William's death in Silver Bow and being buried in Texas! William was buried in Silverbow . There was a chap with the same name buried in Texas but he didn't die until much later.
    William John on the Cornwall board. I am going through the children of William and Rhoda to see if the information is correct.

8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

This is my transcription of the entry (along with the signatures) taken from the Register of St Joseph de Huntingdon. It can be found on Ancestry in the Drouin Collection (Quebec Vital and Church Records 1621-1968)

The twenty ninth of December nineteen hundred and twenty seven, in virtue of a Dispensation, the impediment of Disparity of Cult, granted by the Ordinary of Valleyfield diocese, We, the undersigned Parish Priest have required and obtained the mutual consent of Percy Beare, hotel clerk, of this parish, not of the Catholic religion, son of age of the late Mr John Henry Beare, and of Rhoda Jane Hodges, of Polpeor, Lelant, Cornwall, England, of the one part, and of Marie Louise Albina Lepage, of this parish of the Catholic religion, daughter of age of Oliver Lepage, labourer, and of Delia Riel, of this parish, of the other part, in presence of William Durmin (?) and of Herman Lepage, brother of the bride, who, with the bride and bridegroom have signed with me after due reading of this Act
    upload_2021-3-19_11-5-36.png

mugwortismy cat and Genie1 like this.
  9. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I haven't got an Ancestry subscription.
    Do they have the actual marriage certificate?
    I expect they misunderstood and put Hodges instead of Odgers and maybe he didn't know the name of his father because his father was in the USA.

10. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

There doesn’t appear to be an image of a marriage certificate, there’s just this declaration in a register of similar declarations.

11. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Drat!

AnnB likes this.
  12. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

This was what I saw on ancestry glad you transcribed it wasn't easy reading haven't seen the rootschat one

AnnB likes this.
  13. Archie's Mum

The Gleaner (Huntington) May 4 1994
    Mrs Percy Beare.
    In memory of Mary Louise Beare (Lepage) who passed away May 7 1979.
    Your life was unselfish for others. You lived not for what you received but for what you could give.
    Sincere and true in heart and mind, beautiful memories you left behind.
    Lovingly remembered by your children.

Genie1 likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Percy didn't take up Catholicism as he is was buried in Huntingdon Protestant Cemetery in 1966. Find a grave.
    Marie Louise is buried at St Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Huntingdon. Their daughter Pearl Beare Carrigan is buried in the Protestant Cemetery.

Genie1 and Chimp like this.
  15. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

That is one twig completed.
    Just a couple of brothers to sort out.

AnnB, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.