Perry (and other spellings of the name)

Discussion in 'Cumberland' started by popsit, Oct 1, 2015.

1. popsit

popsit Member

Hello all,

This is my first time on this forum so I hope I am doing things correctly. This is definitely a brickwall so if I am in the wrong place asking the wrong question please point me on where to go.
    This is mostly in Cumberland. Here goes.The name I am researching is Perry and all its variations.

I have a Mungo (again lots of variations) Perry who may or may not be married to a Jane ??. Jane was born approx 1703 probably in Cumberland. Nothing on Mungo except a death in 1778 15th May in Whitehaven. Mungo is the brickwall in that we think he was more than likely a seaman of sorts and possibly came from Scotland originally. That is possibly how he met Jane. Jane died in workington 2nd April 1781 aged 78.
    Mungo and J ane had the following children:
    Henry b. 1733
    Mary b. 1734 9th dec.
    William b. 1736 9th sept.
    John b. 1738 3rd Aug
    Mungo b. 1740 7th sept
    James b. 1747 30th Aug
    We think mungo would be going backwards and forwards on a ship between Scotland and Whitehaven as Whitehaven was quite a port back then. I do have somewhere in my notes of mungo in a boarding house at some stage, probably overnight stays for seaman.So my query is:
    what was Janes surname was she a perry or just the children. Where was mungo born.Where did Jane live all those years she was having children etc. Anything anyone can come up with would be really really appreciated. All the children were born in Workington, St Micheal.

POPSIT/NZ

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

You're doing fine so far Popsit & very well to have so many baptisms. I found only 4 in the 1840s on Familysearch, so not much help from there. Let's hope there are other gems to discover.

3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Family Search has given up...so far
    Mungo PERREY 1740 father Mungo
    James PERREY 1747 father Mongo
    Jane 1738 father Mongo
    All St Michael.
    Death...Martha PERREY 5/6/1746 Whitehaven

4. Archie's Mum

Sorry, that should be Workington.
    Then there is Henry 1733 father Mongay Perrey
    William 1736 father Mungs Perrie!
    Mary 1734 father Mongay Perrey.
    All St Michael.

5. popsit

popsit Member

Thank you. I did this research back in 2008 and got the baps from familysearch as it was then (LDS). I am at the stage now where I am going back into my research to try and fill up brickwalls as records and info have got better to find.

popsit

6. popsit

popsit Member

7. popsit

popsit Member

Mmm so I see a Jane there born in 1738 and if you look above I have a John who was born same year so could they have been twins. I didn't pick her up at all so am wondering if she died, will try to find a death.Also the death you mention could she have been another child who came in between John and James, I wonder if she was a baby or an older person. Im so glad I got on to this forum as I hadn't pick these ones up.

popsit

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Remember, these could be just baptism years and not birth years. That's to say, they may not have baptised one of the children in the year it was born. When the next child came along they remembered that they hadn't baptised the first and had them both done at the same time.

It may also be that one was born in the latter part of 1737 and was baptised at the beginning of 1738. The second being born in late 1738 and being baptised the same year.

Edited to add - Most records back then are from BT's (Bishops transcripts) The date of birth had no significance to the church. They didn't deal with Birth, Marriage and Death. They were only interested in Baptisms/Christenings, Marriage and Burial.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

I haven't found a John 1738 but coincidently the Jane I have found was baptised the same date i.e. 3rd August. So could it not be an error, either it was John or it was Jane and not both? :)

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  10. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

This is a very good point and should always be borne in mind. Can't remember where in Worcestershire but found seven children from the same family baptised together. Glad to say they were none of mine.

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  11. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

I did a search on Scotland's People from 1695-1706 for a birth of Mungo Perry with name variants and had no hits. Welcome to the forum....

GrannyBarb likes this.
  12. popsit

popsit Member

Thank you for your reply. Popsit

Chimp likes this.
  13. popsit

popsit Member

Wow, thank you for that. You have to wonder how some names ie John can possibly become Jane lol, I have to repeat I am so glad I joined this forum as I am cleaning up this family slowly.

Popsit

Chimp, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  14. popsit

popsit Member

Yes this is a good point as just the other day I found several children born at different dates all registered on the same date as the last born.This is for a totally different family line.

popsit

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  15. popsit

popsit Member

Thank you for the welcome. This is my brickwall re Mungo, where was he born??. One would think he was born in Scotland with a name like that, he has to be written down somewhere either in Scotland or England. I did search in England but only Cumberland but couldn't find him. At the time I was paying a professional for help so the death date he gave me had to be right (15th May 1778). It would have been nice if it stated he was husband of Jane wouldn't it. With his partner, Jane, on her death details it states she was "wife" of Mungo. I haven't been able to find a marriage for them if they were married.Dont you just love genealogy, I often am down to one strand of hair and have to wait till it all grows back lol

popsit

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  16. Ma-dotcom

Like you Popsit, I am going back over all of my family lines to tidy up/improve. This forum & it's members has been a sanity saver.
    No offence but:
    not necessarily so, they too are human with human fails. Many people have saidthey spent money unwisely on 'professionals' & learned nought or incorrect info.

Much depends on the writings of clerics etc in Parish records & Bishop's transcripts. Abbreviations are a real headache which can be misread: Js, Jno, Jas, Jn. & many others. Let's still hope- "one day he'll come along, this Mungo of mine."...yours.;)

17. popsit

popsit Member

Thank you lots for your thoughts. Your right about bishops transcriptions etc. I am working on a family line that I had to scroll through originals (records). They really had bad writing back then, some even still in latin which takes me back to my quote of "one strand of hair left" lol. Be good now

popsit

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

can't help myself Lass, it came with my two shoes :rolleyes: :D

19. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi popsit

The Bath Chronicle of sep 4 1778 reported the death at Honduras of Captain Perry of Whitehaven in the prime of life. No first name, so he may not be Mungo.

He seems to have been master of the Hope sailing from Whitehaven to Antigua around that time. The Hope was also reported at Dover and in Ireland.

There's a good website called pastpresented.info which has selected extracts from Cumberland newspapers of the time - you can pick him up there but no mention of an age or first name. It didn't record his death. However these are transcripts of extracts so it is possible that there is some useful information in the originals. These can be viewed at some Cumbrian record offices and libraries.

I haven't found any mention of a Mungo Perry so far.

1778 was the time of the American revolution and a dangerous time to be sailing to Antigua I'd guess. And in 1778 there was an American attack on Whitehaven!

Ma-dotcom and Huncamunca like this.
  20. popsit

popsit Member

Dare I hope!!! According to my records my perry died in 1778. Can I ask what you consider his age might have been when they say "prime of Life" in those days.I must admit I never thought of my mungo as being anything other than a sailor or ordinary worker on any boat.Yes, I know I am grasping here but how many perry's in Whitehaven around that time would be a captain of a ship.This is the closest tit bit I have been given that might turn out to be a thread to run with since 2008.
    The other bit of info you give is about the americans attacking Whitehaven. The grasping bit for me is all this happened when mungo died in 1778. Your email now of course throws up lots more of grasping material lol. Will be off now to check out the info you have given me and will let you know how I get on. Thank you lots

popsit

Ma-dotcom likes this.