Perry (and other spellings of the name)

Discussion in 'Cumberland' started by popsit, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Many of the churches around there are dedicated to St. Kentigern (St. Mungo) - I've visited several of them in recent days.

One of my cousins was named after the church in which she was christened... just an idea.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. popsit

popsit Member

Very interesting,all ideas welcomed so I am going to now see if I can find any records for this church. The trouble is with one answer comes more questions. I don't know his parents names............ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! you have to laugh don't you but I wouldn't be without my genealogy. Thank you

popsit

Sis, Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Oh dear popsit - forgive me and my dodgy eyesight and scrawled writing - but the death of capt Perry was in 1788!!! not 1778. So probably not your chap. Sorry again. But maybe a relative.

Ifyou have access to online old newspapers you can check out old shipping lists. They give the name of the ship followed by the name of the captain and say where they had arrived from or were sailing to. The above capt perry was def sailing around in the late 1770s.

From family search there were Perrys in the area in the17th and 18th century so Mungo could be local. There were also other Mungos around so the name did occur in England.

Have you checked your notes to see where your researcher picked up the 1778 burial. Did he give a source? Then perhaps it could be rechecked. ( I'm in cumbria but in the south of the county so a long way from Whitehaven or Workington I'm afraid. But if I do find myself up that way then I'd be happy to have a look. Could be a long time away though so perhaps an email to the Whitehaven record office would be an idea.)

Sorry again for my mistake. I am wearing my glasses and will have another look.

4. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

I know you have these details, but for others' interest - Jane's death is online (Bridekirk parish registers) and she is described as widow of the late Mungo Perry of Workington, mariner.

5. popsit

popsit Member

Hello,
    please don't worry about your error it is no biggie. I did go to the website you or someone else suggested and I did find a John Perry who was a capt. but not of the Hope. Yes there were lots of perry's round in the time you say and some of them were mine.You will have by now read "Grizel's little bit about Jane's death. As you see she was "Widow" of Mungo so they had to be married didn't they especially after all those children. What reasons would there be for not being able to find a marriage, it would have been before or on the first childs birth which was 1733 in Workington.Also it states that my mongo was indeed a mariner so at least that bit is true.

Popsit

P.S. Apologies for the late reply but I had been away for the weekend. To put your mind more at ease I also try sometimes to read something without my glasses and when you get them its amazing what the figures or words are really.

Grizel and Daft Bat like this.