Philip Howse - Oxfordshire

Discussion in 'Oxfordshire' started by Kirsty Catalano, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

It's amazing what goes on up that end while we are in the land of nod.
    I agree with Wendy, well done

Kirsty Catalano and Huncamunca like this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Would this one fit in somewhere?
    England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973
    Richard Howse married Martha Elizabeth Horwood on 27 May 1828 @Headington,Oxford,England
    FHL Film Number: 887481

Duh!, wrongwayWendy strikes again. sorry people- wrong Fellow.

Kirsty Catalano likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

From Oxon FHS Parish Register Transcripts of Oxford St Ebbe:

30 April 1843 George MATTHEWS (who marked), full age, bachelor, Labourer, St Ebbe's Street, father Joseph MATTHEWS, Labourer, & Elizabeth HEDGES, full age, spinster, St Ebbe's Street, father Daniel WHITE, Labourer, by banns. Witnesses: Elizabeth EAST who marked & George BRYAN

Janet

Ma-dotcom, AnnB, Chimp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Excellent find, Janet: well done!
    8(:-)

5. Huncamunca

Following up some of the children of Philip & Elizabeth eventually led to me finding Elizabeth's death.

Their daughter Florence (b.1880) married Frederick Arthur Tuffin in the Headington district in 1904, but the marriage was very short-lived: it appears that he died in the Croydon district the following year. There is a likely looking marriage for a Florence Tuffin in the Poole district in Dorset in 1906, with a William Charles Ware as a possible spouse.

In 1911, William Charles Ware (a builder) was in Upper Parkstone in Dorset, with wife Florence (30, born Oxford) and a 1 year old son Harley Ware. Also in the household is his widowed mother-in-law, Elizabeth Howse (70, born London). With Florence having a brother called Harley, there seems no doubt that this is the right family. (RG 14/12270, ED 7, schedule no. 223).

By the time William died, he had a different wife (see National Probate Calendar) so I looked for an early death for Florence. The death of Florence Ware, aged 38, was registered in the Poole district in the last quarter of 1918. Her mother also died in that quarter, to judge from this entry in the National Probate Calendar:

HOWSE Elizabeth of 49 Divinity Road, Oxford, widow, died 17 November 1918 at Hatton Villa, Bournemouth Road, Parkstone, Dorsetshire, [Letters of] Administration [granted at] Oxford 1 January [1921] to Kate Eliza Franklin wife of Henry Isaac Franklin. Effects £526.​

(As was found earlier, Elizabeth's daughter Kate E. Penny had married Henry Isaac Franklin.)

With Florence and her mother both dying at around the same time, I wonder if they were both victims of the flu epidemic which claimed so many lives at that time?

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Kirsty Catalano

Kirsty Catalano Active Member

Thank you Jan. I've contacted OFHS to see if they have any additional information. :)

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. Kirsty Catalano

That's awesome information and not something that I would have been able to find myself so thank you! One question though, is his birth year 1833 or 1831?

8. Kirsty Catalano

LIKE! LIKE! Awesome information. Thank you so much for investigating this for me!!! Really appreciate it! :) :)

9. Kirsty Catalano

Thank you Janet! I have found a death record for Thomas Norridge in early 1850. I will respond to the other information when I next sign on!! Slowly catching up! :)

10. Huncamunca

The baptism register says that Philip was 'born on the seventeenth day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty one And was solemnly baptized with water, in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, on the twenty sixth day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty one by me Jno. S. Stamp'.

This date of birth fits with him being 9 years old on the 1841 census (which was taken on 6th June).

11. Kirsty Catalano

w
    Wow, there is a lot of work there. Thank you so much Janet. Still working out the trail but I believe this information matches the family perfectly. :) :)

12. Kirsty Catalano

And just to confirm, (and it may have been mentioned earlier), the baptism register for Philip Howse born 1831 is in Stonesfield, Coombe or St Michael's?

13. Kirsty Catalano

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm still working through everything and will confirm the more recent finds as soon as I can. Unfortunately for me, holiday time is over and it's back to work tomorrow. Will be in touch soon. Also, I had some difficulty getting on to this site today. It kept saying a database error occurred. Not sure what happened but I thought I would let you know. Thanks again!! :) :) Happy hunting!

Huncamunca likes this.
  14. Huncamunca

The baptism is recorded in a Wesleyan Methodist register (original held at The National Archives, their reference is RG 4/1446). In their own catalogue it is described just as 'Oxford (Wesleyan): Births & Baptisms'. As mentioned in an earlier post this doesn't necessarily mean that the baptism was in Oxford itself: the register covers baptisms in various places in the Oxford Methodist circuit, which included Combe. The 'St Michael's' thing is a bit of a red herring, I think: that seems to be how FamilySearch label the Oxford circuit Wesleyan records.

Unless some other document turns up, I don't think we can be certain where the baptism took place. It was presumably somewhere in the Oxford circuit, and was conducted by Jno. S. Stamp (maybe John Sundius Stamp?), but whether he came to Combe or the baby was taken elsewhere in the circuit for baptism, we may never know.

15. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

We had a server issue - now resolved. :)

16. Kirsty Catalano

I have seen no reference to a birth of Kate Howse, father Philip however the death of Kate aged 8 in Headington has me intrigued. How can we find out for sure that this is 'our' Kate?

17. Kirsty Catalano

I love these kinds of stories! Unfortunately it would mean that George Matthews is Kate's grandfather. I'm still trying to get my head around this family!!

18. Kirsty Catalano

Great information - thank you! I think it would be beneficial to purchase a copy of John Penny's marriage also. I have Headington for Philip and Elizabeth's marriage also. Great ideas!

19. Kirsty Catalano

Just to be clear....this would be the parents of my Elizabeth who married John Penny/Philip Howse?

20. Kirsty Catalano

Thank you so much Huncamunca - this is precious information and pretty much confirms the line that I have found on Ancestry. I am convinced he is the right Philip Howse. Thank you!!!! :)