PHOTO C1906 RN CAP HMS VICTORY?

Discussion in 'Royal Navy & Royal Marines' started by HildaW, Oct 29, 2013.

1. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi I have a photo taken about 1906 the person was from Dublin and he is in sailor's uniform but the cap says HMS Victory. I cannot find a ship by that name in that era but my OH suggested he might have been sent to the HMS Victory for training - can anyone enlighten me
    Thanks
    Hilda

2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

HildaW likes this.
  3. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

In 1889, Victory was fitted up as a Naval School of Telegraphy. She soon became a proper Signal School, and signal ratings from ships paying off were sent to Victory, instead of the barracks, for a two-month training course. The School remained on Victory until 1904, when training was transferred temporarily to HMS Hercules, and in 1906 the whole School was moved to a permanent establishment at the Chatham Royal Naval Barracks.
    courtesy of Wikipedia

Lindylou likes this.
  4. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Gilliflower,
    thanks for that info but I doubt this person would have been sent from Dublin to the Victory to train as a telegrapher, don't think education level was sufficient. There is a possibility that he deserted in 1907, found on FamilySearch and there are some papers on NatArchives referring to RN 1907 and to MN after 1908. The person connected to photo (not me) is getting the papers from NatArchives. We know by 1915 he was in the Merchant Navy as a Fireman and we have his record card with Photo probably taken around 1920.

The photo of sailor's uniform and cap is clearly a studio photo - is it possible that one could hire a uniform with cap and have a photo taken at a studio for the family, say just before or as one signed up with the RN? Unfortunately the photo card does not have studio name on front or back nor does it say who the photo is but the facial features match closely to the c1920 MN photo and a later one c1950.

Photo provided by female descendant of possible cousin - owner of photo was adopted so I won't be mentioning names and we believe this person to be his paternal grandfather. His mother was killed in 1940 and father was killed in WW2 but they were not married and were not together since not long after his birth - hence adoption which was by family of the mother so there are no formal papers.
    Thanks for your help,
    Hilda

5. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

I do not think a uniform could be hired.Any possibility he borrowed it from a friend?

6. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Gilliflower perhaps you could "borrow" clothing from the studio for the purposes of the photo - I have seen photo's of ag labs in very stylish clothing but the shoes were real working class - the outfits and the shoes just did not fit together nor would a lowly working class person have the money or need for such fancy clothes particularly in the case of a woman with a very stylish dress and hat, that's what made me think you could "borrow" costumes.
    Many thanks for your help
    Hilda

7. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

In the September 1908 Navy List on Ancestry (images 516-7) HMS Victory is the Flagship of the C-in-C . The entry says "The general work of the Flagship is carried out in the R.N. Barracks". There were clearly a large number of officers and men attached to Victory.

HildaW likes this.
  8. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

The Victory was, as a matter of interest, still afloat in the early 1920s, but it went into dry dock around 1922, and was floated very occasionally thereafter.

Lindylou and HildaW like this.
  9. Dave2425

Dave2425 Member

HMS Victory was a training Establishment, there was also Victory II Victory III and I think Victory IV.... Victory II was Crystal Palace not sure where the others were Stokers went to Victory III WWII

HildaW and Doug like this.
  10. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, that answers many questions, many thanks for the info