Photo - Give Me A Clue!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by kernowmaid, Mar 23, 2016.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

The attached was sent to me by one of my new-found "cousins" - she has no idea which one is a family member. One of the boys? Or a master?
    It is probable that it was taken in England - her grandparents (my gt gt uncle & wife) emigrated to Canada in 1906, and stayed in touch with the folks back home.
    I have a feeling that it is to do with the wife's family (the eldest of 13 siblings, where the mother died in her 40's, in 1900, leaving toddlers & babies).

To me, it looks like the "inmates" of an Industrial School. But that's just a guess!

Can anyone identify the Flag? And what is the lad at the front wearing? The "uniforms" look like sailors - but the masters are not in uniform, so I presume not Royal Navy ...

The area is likely to be Manchester or Middlesborough. The name might be HALSALL (or BROWN).

All suggestions gratefully received.

Jane

Attached Files:

2. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Could they be Sea Cadets? not too sure what the boy in front could be wearing - looks like a rain cape? I doubt it is though.

kernowmaid likes this.
  3. Spanner

Spanner Well-Known Member

Looks like 2 different flags. The one on the right seems to be a Union Jack. Don't recognise the other one.

kernowmaid likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Just looking a the photo I think of Holland, Germany or a similar country

kernowmaid likes this.
  5. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Flag of St. George? A guess.

Heavens, what is that child wearing?

kernowmaid likes this.
  6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I think it may have something to do with Empire Day celebrated on May 24th. Children used to dress up at school to celebrate, and this stuck in my mind because my grandmother's birthday was May 24th and she could remember her class all dressing up for her birthday - except, of course, it was for Empire Day :rolleyes: They would dress up in various costumes and carry flags from the countries of the Empire, and a jolly good time was had by all :D

kernowmaid and Bay Horse like this.
  7. Bay Horse

May the 24th - Empire Day. My grandmother's unofficial birthday, as her own birth details had been lost.

I think you could well be right, Ann. It does look like a school environment.

kernowmaid and AnnB like this.
  8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I think like Spanner that the flag on the right could be the Union Jack but the photo being in Sepia colour doesn't help, Lord knows what the flag is on the left too much decoration on it to be the St George/English flag.

The boy in the front looks to be wearing I think an Oilskin, something fishermen or merchantmen might wear, I'm thinking, like others have suggested, that overall it represents nautical theme.

Just a thought, could it be commemorating a naval battle or something similar, pity there's no date.

Btw I do not like the look of the teacher on the left of the photo.

kernowmaid likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Their toggles are very distinctive, but distinctive what-not clear enough to really see them.
    Maybe it's a particular school flag- or something like Scouts or other social bodies for boys, in a particular area.
    I went searching this morning before going shopping, but ended up mainly in institutional places.
    They all look a bit as tho' they were given the 'warning' before the photo was taken.

kernowmaid likes this.
  10. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I tend to agree with gillyflower. The flag on the right could be a Union Jack and the other one might be a sea cadets one.

kernowmaid likes this.
  11. Bay Horse

I have looked for the 2nd flag all over Google images and can't find it, but have found the same flag in other, similar, group photos of children. I think it's a cross of St. George with a smaller St. George's cross in the top left hand quarter.

Edit: Discount that. :oops: Now I've enlarged the original pic again I can see it's not the same flag.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    kernowmaid likes this.
  12. kernowmaid

Well, thanks for looking!
    Wish I could work out what the boy at the front is wearing! I, too, thought "oilskin" - but it seems to be see-through. And this is too early to be a plastic raincoat!
    I like the Empire Day suggestion - but these boys are in uniform, not fancy dress. (Parents wouldn't pay to look all the same?)
    Sea Cadets? Sea Scouts? (Only one boy smart enough?)
    What did Borstal boys wear?
    I'm still thinking Industrial School (one of my hubby's ancestors was sent to one of these institutions for destitute & wayward boys - a "Training Ship" off Plymouth.) What happened to those boys who didn't live near the sea? Where were they sent?
    Thinking aloud again - sorry!

Jane

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  13. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

If you think it is training ship have a read of this - Flook found it for me, one of mine ended up on this one. There are photos too of the boys in uniform:)

http://www.
    brucehunt.co.uk/Training Ship Mount Edgcumbe.html

kernowmaid and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. kernowmaid

Yep, that's the one I meant. "Ours" was Billy Baines, in the 1881 Census - when was "yours"?
    And the uniforms were much smarter than those in my "unknown" pic.

Jane

15. Ma-dotcom

The kid in the middle may represent the leader of the pack-, sorry don't know of another way to put it. He has that rather "ME" air about him.

What about a Naval Orphanage?

kernowmaid likes this.
  16. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

1901 George Tullett age 14 from Deptford.

I thought the picture of the boys on the deck with 'guns' looked similar, white uniform with 'scarf'.

kernowmaid likes this.
  17. Bay Horse

The two adults throw the picture somewhat. o_O They don't look 'naval' in the least.

kernowmaid likes this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

If they were hired teachers /trainers, would they necessarily be of the Naval/whatever persuasion?

kernowmaid and Bay Horse like this.
  19. kernowmaid

I'm now being sidetracked :confused:
    Found this site http://www.
    childrenshomes.org.uk/list/IS.shtml
    that lists all the Children's Institutions and there are lots of photos - I'm looking for a similar uniform, but Gawd, those buildings look grim.

Jane

Ma-dotcom and Bay Horse like this.
  20. Bay Horse

Mm. Good thinking.

The children are straight-backed and impeccably turned out (look how the child kneeling has a cloth under his knee to protect his whites). The two masters aren't even sitting up properly; if they had naval training they wouldn't be that sloppy.

I'm on that site, too, Jane - and also going through old images of the training ship Indefatigable which my family had links with.

AnnB, Ma-dotcom and kernowmaid like this.