Possible wrong birth date given 1939

Discussion in 'British Census' started by Ma-dotcom, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I'm sorry to hit & run, my spectacles are on the blink & can't see as well as I'd like . they have dislocated arm & keep falling off.
    It's taken a while to explore, but I found in 1939 Register a family of my 2nd cousin x 1 rem'd- now widowed as of 1921 . tna_r39_0115_0115e_015
    She lists herself Minnie Elizabeth b. 16 Nov. 1884 'W' -office Cleaner, dtr. Rose b. 11 Feb. 1911, son Arthur Edward b. 13 Apr. 1909, dtr. Jessie b 24 Apr. 1920 [marries "Wild, Victor W." 1940]
    . No where could I find this Arthur Edward even reversing his names. [ His Father was Edward Arthur b.1881.]
    Arthur Edward was Baptised along with his sister Rosie on 12 June 1914 at St. Bartholemew's, Camberwell.
    He does not appear in 1911 census.
    After some time I have found a birth on April 1913 Camberwell, Surrey with the correct Mother's maiden name. A death 03/1989 Chelmsford Essex gives birth date as 11 Apr. 1913.

Could Minnie have given the wrong birth year in error?. I haven't found a corresponding birth / death for the son's name in 1909 other than one 'Arthur' who died in 1909 age 0. Dec. Q. Lewisham.

Am hoping to keep my Legacy files correct, without leaving anyone out.
    Any assist here appreciated.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Wendy,

It was most likely a transcription error on the part of the compiler rather than Minnie's mistake. The 1939 Register was taken in the same way that the censuses were taken - forms left at the houses for the householder to complete and then these were transcribed by enumerators.

I have seen this mistake happen for other entries. :)

Bonzo Dog, Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Jan, I had hoped this was the case.
    Rather like those bapt's / marriage where the Father / Husband was named same as the one before? or the one given in error by a nervous spouse?

Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

There are just so many birth errors on the 1939. I don't rely on them.

Or indeed the church. I went on a wild goose chase for a mystery father called James on a marriage cert once, at St. James'. When I finally got to see the parish record on microfilm it named the correct father - Robert. :rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

All records are liable to human error aren't they! In my direct line I had twins baptised in Blockley with a certain father's forename and when they were buried, from memory a couple of days later, it showed a different father's forename. Luckily one of the names was pretty unusual, so I knew it was the same father.

Janet

Bonzo Dog and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Very true Janet, I have a several times great uncle who was baptised John, son of James and Jane. Five months later he was buried as James, infant son of James and Jane.

janetbooth and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

When I was checking & correcting Baptism records for an online concern I [& others] was told that a faint Js or what may have been Jas - Jos was alwas to be JAMES! aside from changing christian names to fit marriage names, [you see why I called quits? ] how many little Josephs or Joshuas were snuffed by this decision.?
    My Family history now clings to what a person told through out his life as gospel, even if I can''t find the Baptism for the area. Maybe his parents moved to that area soon after his birth. Matters not. He is mine no matter where born.

Half Hour, janetbooth and Sis like this.