POW World War 1 Albert Edward Cadby/Cudby

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by Murfomurf, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

This fellow was born 25 Dec 1897 in West Ham, Essex. His Army enrolment says he was a Driver for the Royal Field Artillery and I can read "Poland" as one of the places he was posted. Then I came across this POW index card:

Name: A W Cudby Rank: Driver Army Number: 104449 Regiment: Royal Army Service Corps POW Number: 6316 Camp Type: Stalag Camp Number: XX-A Camp Location: Torun, Poland Record Office: Royal Army Service Corps Record Office, Ore Place, Hastings, Sussex Record Office Number: 29.

Do you agree these are probably the same person and the W has been mis-read from a Greek-style E (which is how I write also)?

Other info about this fellow indicates he wandered as a ship's passenger back and forth to Australia until some years before his death. Further interpretation by me says that he may have made friends in the Camp with an Australian, whom he visited. Also he may have had a neurosis about staying in the same place due to fear of further capture, torture etc.

Anyway, after this rigmarole, this guy is genetically related to me, several of my 1st cousins and to a present-day Polish family. To figure out how he could have fathered someone in Poland I need to discover the liberation day for the Torun/Thorn POW Camp, which I cannot yet find from my home base (Australia).

Any clues?

Bay Horse likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

A few clues......Stalag XX-A was a German WW2 POW located in Torun in German occupied Poland. It was liberated by Soviet Army on 1st Feb 1945, however the Polish resistance facilitated escapes of British POWs from Stalag XX-A sheltering them in Bydgopzcz in Nothern Poland and transported them to Gdynia in Sweden. Ref Wikipedia
    This could mean that your relative could possibly have fathered a child after his escape to Bydgopzcz.

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a list of POWs at Stalag 20A Torun but no Cadby is on the list.
    Then again you are after WW1. I was looking at WW2. Stalag XX-A didnt start until 1939.
    Forces War Records has both AW Cadby and AE Cadby

4. Andromeda

Andromeda Well-Known Member

The MoD list of WW2 servicemen born before 1901 has only AE Cadby born 15 Oct 1897, Service No. P274114.

Ma-dotcom and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Andromeda

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Murfomurf

Yep, I need WW1 and apparently hundreds if not thousands of POW records from WW1 have been lost or destroyed, unfortunately. I was hoping some individual had left some notes that just might turn up somewhere like FMP, which I can't access...

7. Murfomurf

This identifies the guy I was chasing- didn't know he'd gone on to WW2, so the Torun clue may apply after all. I discovered AW Cadby was Alexander William Cadby - a relative, but not the relevant one.

8. Andromeda

I'm confused. Why are you looking for a PoW record from WW1? His service record is pretty complete in terms of his postings throughout the entire period of the war.

Murfomurf likes this.
  9. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Possibly try a newspaper search from his home town. Sometimes family would put something in the announcements section asking for word of a missing serviceman, prior to them turning up at a POW camp.

Murfomurf likes this.
  10. Murfomurf

Sorry Andromeda, but there are all sorts of notes around the place that point towards the conception of a child near the birthplace of my DNA Match with an unknown father just after the FIRST world war, so it could be a different Cudby or Cadby I am seeking. I could be wrong, but it's worth my while contacting the Polish guy's relatives for clues.

Bay Horse likes this.
  11. Murfomurf

OK, thanks everyone! I have turned this puzzle over to the son of the Polish DNA Match who lives in Belgium and speaks good English. He will look in the Polish Archives for any Cudby or Cadby POWs. It's generally known that many POW records from WW1 never reached the UK.

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  12. Andromeda

Hopefully he'll turn up something, but looking at Albert Edward Cadby's records, he first entered a theatre of war on 17 Nov 1915 and his service record show where he was posted, but I don't see Poland anywhere:

26 Aug 1914 to 16 Nov 1914 - Home
    17 Nov 1915 to 29 Jan 1916 - France/Belgium
    30 Jan 1916 to 3 Jun 1919 - Egypt & Palestine
    4 Jun 1919 to 18 Jun 1919 - En Route
    19 Jun 1919 to 16 Jul 1919 - Home.

Murfomurf likes this.
  13. Andromeda

Looking more closely at his records though, I don't see a demob date. Could he have continued to serve after the end of the war? If so, then that might have taken him to Poland perhaps.

His WW1 medal card includes a reference to his WW2 service (Quartermaster in the Pioneer Corps), including a date of 26 Oct 1939.

EDIT: Disembodied on Demobilization 16 July 1919. Perhaps he rejoined?

Murfomurf and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. Murfomurf

Hmm- he does seem to turn up later, but of course it's hard to know with not having a definite presence at a POW camp or in Poland. I could have mistaken Posted for Poland in the light and smudgy record I could see. Still his family labels him a POW, but has no documents.

However, Wikipedia says that prisoners from French battles were taken to Poland to POW camps during WW1 and 2.