Preston Children from late 1920's/early 1933 - seeking father name

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by TraceyM, Jan 23, 2020.

1. TraceyM

TraceyM New Member

Harriet Meynell (nee Watts), moved to Preston (with her two children Michael and Edna Meynell) in approx. mid 1920's and purchased(?) a tobacconist shop on Fylde Road (number 248?) where she lived for approx. 5+ years and had three further children (who have all now died) who either do not have a birth father names on certificates or had her (long-ago) deceased husband listed. The three children born were Ruth Meynell, 1929, Stanley Meynell 1931, Norman Meynell 1933 (birth cert says he was born 45 Cardigan St). At some stage in the 1930's she moved from Fylde Road back to the Midlands.
    Looking for info on who their father could be - guessing it could be someone who lodged with her, a neighbor with his own family. Does anyone have info to help please? I would be interested in getting following questions answered:
    - date she purchased store, date she sold store. Was this actually 248 Fylde rD? What was Cardigan Street clue?
    - if anyone lived with her in Preston
    - if fathers names may have been listed in baptism documents
    - or if anyone has any clues.... perhaps the childrens father died and that's why she moved?

There doesn't appear to be a census during this time and Im in USA so cannot go to see physical documents that might exist.

Any help , advice, pointers very much appreciated

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Found a photo of E & J Smith, stationery, newsagent, toy dealer and tobacconist
    Fylde Road Preston c1910 from Preston Digital Archives. The name above the door is E Smith.
    Because I cant give you the site link here I will send it via ‘conversations’ here on this site.
    It won’t help you with your enquirey, perhaps it may, but it might interest you in other ways.
    Also. Cardigan Street is not too far away from the address in Fylde Road. Maybe she went there when her time was close as she had other children with her.

Blackmogs likes this.
  3. TraceyM

TraceyM New Member

Thanks for the response. Yes I thought she may have gone to see the help of a friend or midwife in cardigan st as she most likely didn’t have a husband. Would be intriguing to hear if anyone knew of midwive situation or ppl who lived in cardigan st who
    May know the secrets.

thanks for photo too

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Not too sure that this information will be much help, but the 1939 Register of Preston shows that 45 Cardigan Street was occupied by a Thomas W STEPHENS, a Motor Lorry Driver, his wife Isabella and presumably daughter Elizabeth. Birth registration of Elizabeth shows that her mother's maiden name was EKINS, so no obvious connection to your Harriet.

1939 Register shows that 248 Fylde Road, Preston, was occupied by a Norman ROBSON, an Artificial Silk Spinner, his wife Evelyn and a Harry MELLING.

I had a quick look at Trade Directories of Preston via Ancestry and a 1916 Preston Directory shows 3 Newsagents on Fylde Road, a J GREENWOOD at 213, an H HYNDE at 267 and an E J WINN at 41, but by the 1939 Register it looks as if 41 Fylde Road may have become a Florist's Shop as all 3 occupants of the property are listed as Florists. Not much help, I'm afraid, but you could look through any Preston Directories available online to see what Newsagent's etc. are on Fylde Road.

Janet

Ma-dotcom and Blackmogs like this.
  5. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

on 1911 census a family head John Metcalf was a tobacco dealer living at 248 Fylde rd so it may have been a shop as well

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Sandiep

Can you say when you have Harriet as marrying her Mr Meynell only marriage I can find is in 1923 in Chester to a Walter E J Meynell

7. Sandiep

presuming the marriage in 1923 is right Walter died in 1926 and was 71 Edna was registered as Edna Meynell Watts in 1916 and Michael b 1924 so at least they were Walters!
    Finding fathers for the other 3 wont be easy I know as I have same problem in both mine and hubbies families.
    I see all 3 were registered with walters name and her Maiden name of Watts so are there any family rumours at all?

8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I hoped Evelyn may have been connected to Edna but
    Marriages Jun 1931
    Robson Norman + Melling Evelyn Preston 8e-1166. So harry was probably her brother.

9. TraceyM

TraceyM New Member

Thanks for everyones help.
    Yes Harriet married Walter Meynell in Chester (they had Michael and Edna), but he died in 1926 (he was much older than Harriet) and I think he was on the birth certificate for Ruth (1929) which is of course impossible but I guess he was listed to avoid embarrassment. Michael (the oldest son) knew the 'family secret' and had promised to divulge information after Harriet passed (out of respect), but unfortunately he died in the 1960s, many years before Harriet died, so the 'secret' appears to have died with him.
    I however am convinced that someone, somewhere knows something or there is a record that could connect the dots.
    The records you send me for who owned the store/house etc are good starts but Im not sure how the specific dates would work out. Im guessing women didn't own much in those days so it would have been quite unusual for a woman to buy a business with cash - I would be intrigued if her 'man' helped her with paperwork?, was a lodger?, helped her sell the property when she left (if he was alive?). Could anyone suggest how to view this sort of info online or would it be from microfiche/documents in Lancashire somewhere?

So from all of your information, I would assume that 248 Fylde Road was probably a shop with accommodation over whereas Cardigan St address was just a home. There seem to be census information for 1911 and 1939. Does anyone know of any info sources inbetween these dates (more specifically 1926-1936?
    Im new to this, but do appreciate everyones help - thank you

10. TraceyM

TraceyM New Member

11. TraceyM

TraceyM New Member

Thanks for your help. You said you looked through Trade Directories in Ancestry. Would you mind telling me how you did that please? I don't know if I have a version that doesn't show that? (I can see military directories, census vote lists, travel, but no trade directories when I enter search - I don't know if I have a different version of ancestry.com?) Many thanks for the info.

12. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Tracey, on Ancestry, go to 'search' . on right side you'll see "Special Collections & Card Catalogue. Click that & in the Title box type the directories you want. Sorry am much in a hurry duty calls.
    Directories.PNG

13. TraceyM

TraceyM New Member

got it thanks

14. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Thanks, Wendy. Haven't been on TD for a couple of days. Good luck Tracey and if you need more help, just shout.

Janet