Printers

Discussion in 'Other Occupations & Trades' started by Blackmogs, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

I have a family of Calico Printers, Copperplate Printers and Block Printers all living in Merton Surrey between 1841 and 1881 (might be later but I haven't checked). One is a table cover printer. My family lived in Nelson's Fields, Double Row for many years and nearby was a daughter with son in law, and another brother in law. On scrolling through the 1851 census for example, there are lots of printers and copper workers so there must have been some local industry supporting them. One occupation for the girls seemed to be 'tierer' (from the french word tirer - to pull I think) and I seem to recall a conversation with @PeterG some years back in another place that this was something to do with cloth. Can anyone suggest how I might find out what industry was there at this time?

It is absolutely fascinating and seemed to have supported my family for many years with there being very few deaths of children.

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

This gives some of Merton's history
    Code:
    https://www.mertonpriory.org/history/calico-printing/
    And if i read the following correctly I think Nelson's Fields got it's name from Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson
    Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merton_(parish)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Blackmogs likes this.
  3. Blackmogs

Thanks Chimpy, I knew about Nelson's connection but not the other one. Will have a look. :)

Chimp likes this.
  4. Blackmogs

How interesting, that article mentions print works at West Ham, which is where Thomas Marshal originated. He seems to have had the first clutch of children there before moving to Merton. His wife Mary Ann was born in Stratford and descended from a very prominent Baptist. It all hangs together nicely thanks.

Chimp and Bay Horse like this.