prison

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by karon, Jun 15, 2015.

1. karon

karon New Member

hi I was just wondering if anyone could help me on how I could find out why my grandad went to prison apparently he was sent to the Isle of Wight park Hurst prison some where between 1930 / 1955

2. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Karon have you looked on A or fmp,not sure about timeframe but worth a look

karon likes this.
  3. karon

karon New Member

hi Joanne thanks for replying and Yeh I've looked on them and nothing x

Joanne likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hello Karon - welcome to Top Dog :)

Have you tried newspapers at all? As long as your Grandfather is no longer living, if you provide us with his name and where he was probably living at the time, those members with access could have a look for you.

karon likes this.
  5. karon

karon New Member

hi ☺ I feel like I've tried everything and got no where, sadly yes my grandad passed away in 1995 so he is no longer with us his name was James Arthur bills born 27-1-1926 and lived Blackheath Rowley Oldbury around there in between them dates I would be more than greatfull if I could find anything out x

6. Malcolm Webb

Malcolm Webb Well-Known Member

Hi Karon,

Just a wild thought -- have you tried writing to the prison and asking if they still hold the records for the period you are interested in? They may be able to help if you can provide evidence of your relationship, proof of death etc. If they don't have the records they may be able to tell you where they are and how they can be accessed.

You will probably have some difficulty because the records are less than 100 years old, but I usually start from the premise that if you don't ask you don't get to know, and most institutions are happy to help if you can show that you have done your own research and are not just asking for information because you can't be bothered to go out and find it.

This has been my experience in the past making enquiries about a relative of my wife's who died in a mental hospital in 1926. It took several e-mails to tease out the information I wanted, and they even volunteered some information I didn't ask for. Because my wife wasn't the closest living relative, I couldn't apply for his medical records at first, but we managed to contact his grandaughter who was just so happy to be involved, and to find out more about her grandfather who she never knew.

All the best.

Sis, Bay Horse, Joanne and 8 others like this.
  7. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Good thinking Malcolm. I had a quick squizz at the Old Bailey online but their records stick to the 100 year rule. I thought that Parkhurst was a high secure prison but am not sure whether that applied in the time we are looking at. This article has some interesting background info on the prison itself.
    www dot bunker8.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/history/prishist.htm

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Karon where did you get the infor about him being sent to Parkhurst? Is that a family story or is there something else?

9. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Likewise, I was able to access my great grandmother's hospital and asylum records from the 1920s under the Freedom of Information Act (spurred on by one of Malcolm's posts on here). I needed to prove my relationship to the deceased (birth, marriage and death certs) and also provide a letter of permission from the next of kin, in my case it was my mum as her oldest surviving relative.

It's certainly worth a try. Nothing ventured, and all that.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.