Probate 2016

Discussion in 'Wills & Probate' started by LianeH, Oct 11, 2020.

1. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Is it possible to access probate records for recent years. I have a copy of the Will and the Grant of Probate but would also like to be able to find out how much the final estate was valued at - is that possible?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Perhaps contact either the solicitor or executor mentioned in the will?

My friend, who died in July last year, finally had her will go to probate in January this year. However, her estate is still being sorted out as her house has yet to be sold. The solicitor and executor will be the first to know when it is.

LianeH likes this.
  3. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Thanks Jan, its a dufficult situation, asking for a friend but there is a family dispute with the family member that was the executor. The estate is now all complete but there is ill feeling that some things werent declared or distributed properly so they are trying to find out what the final estate amounted to - kind of wish they hadnt asked me to help but hey ho.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

That is why there is more than one executor. ;) Perhaps your friend should contact the solicitor - as long as they are not bound by some sort of confidentiality oath. A tricky one.

5. Daft Bat

Just had a thought....

A tree that I am following at the moment has an entry in the probate register on 13th May 1903 showing £1,279 10s 8d. This then says that it was resworn £1,389 10s 8d.

I wonder if this was because more dosh came to light. Similar circumstances?

LianeH likes this.