Putting a family tree online

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Bay Horse, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

One of the reasons I bought my family history software years back was that it didn't link to the internet, thereby keeping my information - and hard graft and expense of so many years - secure. Something I felt quite strongly about, having had my family photos and documents copied at an early stage and then displayed on the internet without credit. Not everyone shows courtesy.

However, I'm now of the mindset that, should anything happen to me, all this work - she said, waving her hand at the cluttered desk and shelves all around her - disappears with me. I have no one to preserve it or carry it on. Grand daughter is 12 weeks old (today) and whereas I'd been quietly planning to get her interested enough to take it over, that's going to take time.

Downloading a gedcom and putting it online, then, would seem an easy option. Where would be the best place to put it?

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I'm in the same boat Jenny, and really don't want to put a tree on-line as, like you, having shared stuff before, it's ended up where I didn't want it to end up and has got fairly mutilated on the way :sceptical: One option used to be donating family history material to the Society of Genealogists. Many moons ago I was a member and they held some wonderful stuff donated by both members and non-members - items you wouldn't find anywhere else, along with 'trees' of all shapes and sizes. I don't know if they still accept such donations, but if they do, at least you know it would be in safe hands and I would imagine they have a facility for accepting gedcoms? Might be worth asking......:)

Bay Horse likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have my tree online and use a site called Tribal Pages. You can use it for free or pay a nominal fee each year to get rid of the adverts that pop up.

I like it as it is easy to use, I can design the background, control who sees it, it is password protected and I can upload pictures, documents, produce trees etc.

My tree has been on there since 2006 and I have the password noted for anyone who is sorting my bits out. :)

All my paperwork I intend to leave to the SoG - if they want it.

4. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about Tribal Pages but not used it (yet!). I use a program called Heredis to store my tree and information. It comes with the facility to upload everything onto a website which can be password protected, so only those I give the username and password to can access it.

Daft Bat and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Bay Horse

Not heard of Tribal Pages... will have a look. ;)

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Bay Horse

I've uploaded my gedcom to Tribal Pages. I like the look of the site and the security aspect.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Ma-dotcom, Chimp, GrannyBarb and 2 others like this.
  7. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

That's a question I've been mulling over off and on for some years, bearing in mind my rapidly advancing years, it's a question I have to make a decision on before long.

I have decided to give a copy of my Brother's Keeper data and my Family Group sheets on Microsoft Excel to both my daughter and son in the hope they will pass it on. However at least the Brother's Keeper tree data needs to be somewhere where it will be preserved so that future generations can access it, I'm not sure what will happen to BK when the owner of the software is not around to maintain it.

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

I use Tribal Pages, its a really good secure site. I also have my tree on ancestry but I havent used that for ages

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've been debating this for several years since a relly appeared there & then Jan's family backing it up. Sadly I kept getting distracted & forgot all about it. :(

10. Bay Horse

This is my exact position with BK. It's great and done everything I wanted to so far in keeping everything at my fingertips but... it's reliant on another family member (ie daughter who rolls her eyes and changes the subject whenever I mention family history) bothering to access the database with password and also not erasing my 'rather handy' precious external hard drives with her science stuff.

It sounds a bit dark, but my consultant has decided to bring me to the top of the list for a major op which carries a fair bit of risk. I expected to be waiting to hear for another year - plenty of time to get things in order, print charts and scribble notes furiously. This has taken the wind out of my sails; pre-op in a couple of days. I'm sure I'll be back in due course, but I'm trying to be practical - I've invested a lot of time and money on this 'hobby' and I want it to be available if, say, my grand daughter wants to carry it on or indeed if daughter reaches that age where she suddenly, despite her protestations, becomes interested (as I did).

Findem, have a look at Tribal Pages. My gedcom didn't transfer as smoothly as I'd hoped in that some of my source citations from BK are all over the place (my fault for not reading the manual Mr. Steed supplied at the outset) but it appears very secure and it has some nice touches. Worth doing, certainly.

dizzyme, Ma-dotcom, LianeH and 6 others like this.
  11. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

12. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Bay Horse and MollyMay like this.
  13. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Phew!
    It may have been a bit of a surprise- but the quicker it's over the better.
    Take a deep breath and get it done. Hope you recover quickly and well.

14. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

15. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

16. Bay Horse

Ah thank you all. I did hesitate asking because I thought I was maybe sounding a bit morbid. :rolleyes: I had spent ages looking at various websites, none of which appealed.

Auburn, it's certainly a surprise. I am supposed to be nannying my grand daughter from today as mum has had to return to work and she doesn't start nursery until autumn. The cat is well and truly amongst the pigeons. :D Nor am I going to get anything out of my new National Trust membership till after the summer - I've bought new walking boots and everything. :rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom, Auburn, Sis and 2 others like this.
  17. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

18. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

@Bay Horse Hope everything goes as expected with your op, I will be thinking of you ;) it's good that you are getting the op out of the way, less time to think about it. Just remember to follow the Dr's orders and don't try and canter before you can trot. It'll be time for someone else to take the reins for a while. (see what I did there...reins.....horse reins....never mind I'll get me coat :oops:)

19. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Thinking of you @Bay Horse, hope all goes well but as @Chimp said, take it easy and let yiur recovery find its own pace. We are all here for you{-(^^)-}

Chimp likes this.
  20. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

As has been said. Way good to be fit & healthy for when you G'daughter needs help in learning the finer points of Family history eh?
    {-(^^)-}