Quite the mother in law!!

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by The Artful Dodger, Mar 28, 2020.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Harriet Ann Butler was the 1st born child of John Butler and Felicity Drew in 1866. Her life would appear uneventful as she can be found with parents and siblings in 1871 [RG10/2322/51/14] and 1881 [RG11/2333/92/38] in Illogan, Cornwall.

On 11 July 1886 in Camborne, Cornwall she married James Kitto Bray a Miner. She and James K. had 2 daughters - Mildred Butler Bray and Percy Jane Bray. Both were baptised in Camborne on 5 August. 1891. The baptism record on Cornwall OPC indicates James was a Miner and lived on Centenery Street, Camborne. The 1891 census has Harriet and her 2 daughters - Mildred age 4 and Percy age 2 - RG12/1850/81/3 on Centenery Street [no sign of James K.]
    In the 1901 census RG13/2242/21/14 again there is no sign of James K and Harriet Ann now lives on Pump Field Pool, Illogan with her 2 daughters. There are 3 other children on the image as either son or daughter but stroked through and altered to read visitor - Joseph H. Buller age 7, Florence Buller age and Bertie Buller age 1. Joseph H. was born in Wales, Florence and Bertie were born in Camborne.
    The 1911 census was very interesting! Harriet claims now to be a widow. Her address is Druids Lodge, Iloogan Highway, nr Redruth. Her occupation is Housekeeping. There is an unmarried boarder Henry Daddow age 44. Harriet claims to have ahd 7 children of who 5 are still living and 2 deceased. The living are named as Joseph Bray age 18, Florence Bray age 15, Albert Bray age 13, Joseph Bray age 9, Norman Bray age 6 and Mildred Bray age 24. Mildred is unmarried, her occupation is stated as Private Means and has 2 children Cathleen age 3 and Lillian age 12 months.

My interest was in Joseph Henry Bray born in South Wales c. 1894. I could not find a birth registration, but knew that on 28 April 1919 he married my great aunt - Nellie Golley. I believe that I eventually found his birth registration and the certificate I have indicates his name as registered was Joseph Henry Rouett born 6 September 1894 @ 12 Primrose Hill, Tonypandy, Glamororgan.
    He and Nellie had 3 children - all now deceased.

Harriet Ann died in January 1921 and was buried 24 January 1921. Her address at death was Druids Road, Illogan.

As for her husband - James Kitto Bray. He was granted a divorce 3 May 1897 citing adultery with a Joseph Rouett from 1894 onwards. I have not satisfactorily accounted for his death.

Doug likes this.
  2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Wow, she led an interesting life didn't she, Colin! There is a National Probate Calendar entry for a James Kitto BRAY of Tolcarne Inn, Newlyn, Madron, Innkeeper, who died on 21 September 1914. Administration was granted to his widow Jessie BRAY. Cornwall MIs show that he died on 21 September 1914, aged 49 and was buried at Breage. Any use or are there 2 people with the name James Kitto BRAY?

Janet

The Artful Dodger and Chimp like this.
  3. janetbooth

Did a newspaper search for the above James Kitto BRAY and I definitely think he is the ex husband of Harriet. Article in the West Briton & Cornwall Advertiser dated 21 January 1915 concerning a claim on the estate of J K BRAY mentions a "Percie HARDWELL, widow, of Redruth, Cornwall, daughter of the late James Kitto BRAY". There is another article in The Cornishman dated 4 August 1904 referring to the fact that James Kitto BRAY a native of Ashton left for South Africa. Might explain why I cannot find either a remarriage for him or find him in the 1911 census. Another article referring to the death and burial of his mother Mrs Ann BRAY, the youngest sister of Mr William KITTO of Ednovean, Perran, in July 1904 which was attended by James Kitto.

Janet

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've found the report of James Kitto Bray's funeral
    Cornishman 1st October 1914
    The news was received on Tuesday morning, the 22nd, with a sincere regret, of the death of Mr James Kitto Bray. It had been noticed for some months by his friends that he was failing, but none thought the end was so near. Mr Bray was a native of Breage, and had spent several years travelling in America and South Africa. In the Transvaal he was well known and being of a most genial disposition he won the esteem, not only of the Cornish folk, but of a very wide circle outside. Since his return to this country he had resided at the Tolcarne Inn, Newlyn, and here he was also held in high esteem by all who came in contact with him. The interment took place at Breage cemetery on Thursday afternoon.
    There's a lengthy list of mourners and floral tributes afterwards.

5. The Artful Dodger

Hi Janet and Ann. Thank you for this - it confirms my suspicions as to what happened to James K.

Before he died on 21 September 1914, he seems t have washed his hands of Harriet and possibly his 2 daughters, which is why Percie made a claim against his estate in January 1915 - not that she was necessarily greedy but that her husband George Hardwell was killed in a mining accident 10 November 1914.

More on his life later.

janetbooth, AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. The Artful Dodger

James Kitto Bray was baptised 5 August 1864 in Breage. His parents were John Bray and Ann Kitto. His father was a Miner. He was the 3rd of 7 children and before he was born a Richard John Kitto Bray was deceased and buried 13 April 1863.
    His siblings were Thomasine Ann, Richard John Kitto, Eliza, Richard and Esther.

His parents were married 9 June 1860. According to the 1861 census John was aged 42 and Ann was 21. They we living with Ann's parents RG9/1574/123/33.

I have not found John Bray in any other census since 1861.

Ann can be found in 1871 RG10/2308/38 with 4 children at home along with her widowed mother. She is aged 31 and described as married an Ag. Lab.'s wife. In 1881 census RG11/2333/89/32 she is aged 40, married and occupation is Annuitant. 3 children at home - Thomasine [known as Ann], Eliza and Esther. I believe James K. is the Farm Servant age 16 in Hendra RG11/2326/90/20.

He married Harriet 11 June 1866. He was stated as aged 21 and a Miner and she was aged 20. They had 2 children and James K. seems to have left Cornwall/England. in search of work. As a result, he is not found on 1891 census but Harriet and her 2 daughters are RG12/1850/81/2.

I am not certain of the death of his father as his mother states in 1891 census RG12/1851/67/8 that she is a widow and living with her married daughter.

At some point during the 1890's his wife Harriet takes up with a man called Rouett and they move to Tonypandy, Wales where a son is born 6 September 1894. They move back to Cornwall and James K. has also returned to England and he files for divorce on the grounds of Adultery 3 August 1896 and Final was granted 3 May 1987.
    Harriet and her brood can be found RG13/2242/21/14 no occupation and married.
    James K. is with his mother and unmarried sister RG13/2236/31/10. He states he is Single and occupation Gold Miner.

His mother died 7 July 1904 and prior to this James K. arrived from South Africa on 20 March 1904. He left again on 30 July 1904 for South Africa. He returned to England for the lat time 20 April 1912

His obit. stated he was a publican in Newlyn and his probate indicates a widowJessie but I can find no details of her.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  7. janetbooth

It looks as if Jessie is still alive in the 1939 Register, Colin, living at Tolcarne Inn. She is shown as a widow, no occupation, born 30 September 1868, living with a Mary G THOMAS, Licensed Victualler, divorced, born 3 June 1900, and a Jessie P THOMAS, single (married name to be BAKER), born 10 September 1930, plus 1 redacted record. Looking for the birth registration for Jessie P THOMAS on the GRO shows that her mother's maiden name was PASCOE. I wonder if perhaps the PASCOEs were related to Jessie BRAY in some way?

Janet

8. janetbooth

Jessie BRAY is in the 1930/31 Electoral Registers of Madron and is shown as living at the Tolcarne Inn. Richard Herbert & Mary Grace THOMAS are also living at the Tolcarne Inn in the 1931 Electoral Register of Madron. A Richard Herbert THOMAS is shown at Garage-Tolcarne (abode Newlyn) in the 1930 Electoral Register of Madron, whereas Mary Grace PASCOE is living at the Tolcarne Inn in the 1930 Electoral Register.

Janet

9. AnnB

There are several articles mentioning Jessie Bray in the papers, so I've picked out a few :)

Cornishman 13th April 1916
    Jessie Bray, licensee of the Tolcarne Inn, Newlyn, was summoned for, on the 25th February, at 10 p.m., supplying two naval men with liquor during prohibited hours. Defendant, who was represented by Mr A. W. H. Harvey, pleaded guilty. Supt. Smale said the charge was brought under the Defence of the Realm Regulations. It appeared that on the 25th February, P.C. Chapman had occasion to enter the house, and found there two naval men, one of whom had a pint of beer, and the other a pint of porter. P.C. Chapman and said he found two patrol men in uniform in the kitchen. Mrs Bray said she had given both men the drinks. Mr Harvey, on behalf of his client, expressed the deepest regret that she had been brought there on that charge. Although it did not alter the legal position in the least; it was perfectly true that one of these men was well-known to Mrs Bray. He owed her money and had come from Penzance to pay her. The other man was a friend and made enquiries as to whether he could obtain lodgings there should he be shifted from Penzance to Newlyn. There was no attempt at concealment, and the door was wide open. Mrs Bray thought if she gave these men the drinks she would be within her rights. This was an error. It was as much against the regulations to give as to sell the liquor after hours. The Chairman said the regulations must be observed, and imposed a fine of £1.

Cornishman 16th February 1939
    On behalf of Mrs Mary Grace Thomas, of the Tolcarne Inn, Newlyn, Mr John R. Bazeley applied for the transfer to Mrs Thomas of the licence for the sale of intoxicating liquor then held Mrs Jessie Bray, of the Tolcarne Inn. Mrs Bray, he said, had been the licensee of the Tolcarne Inn for twenty-six years and during the whole of that time Mrs Thomas, who was her daughter, had helped her in her duties. The burden of carrying on the business had fallen more on Mrs Thomas as her mother's health had failed. The Chief Constable observed that the premises were well conducted, and the magistrates granted the transfer.

Cornishman 11th April 1940
    The death took place at the Tolcarne Inn, Newlyn, on Thursday, of Mrs Jessie Bray, widow of the late Mr James Kitto Bray. Mrs Bray had for a number of years carried on business at the Tolcarne Inn, and she was widely known and respected in Newlyn. She leaves a son and daughter. The funeral takes place Monday, the service taking place at St Peter's Church.

Cornishman 11th April 1940
    A large number of friends and relatives attended the funeral on Monday afternoon, of Mrs Bray, of the Tolcarne Inn, Newlyn, who died on Thursday. The first part of the funeral service was held at St. Peter's Church. The Rev. A. G. Wyon officiated, and also at the graveside at Paul cemetery. During the service in the church the hymns "Rock of Ages" and "Jesu, lover of my soul" were sung. Miss Sharp was at the organ. The mourners were Mrs G. Thomas (daughter), Mr J. Coak, sen., Mrs E. Coak, Messrs. J. Coak, jun., W. Boaden, H. Collick, C. Collick, Willie Bowden and Leonard Coak (nephews) Miss E. Coak, Mrs Kessell, and Mrs Rowe (nieces), Mrs Bromley and Miss Bromley, Mr and Mrs Reardon, Mrs Guy, Mrs Collis, Messrs. J. Williams, B. Trahair, and W. Blewett, Mrs J. Strick-Warren, Messrs. F. G. Ridge and C. Rollings, Mr Eddy. Mr J. Bray (son) was unable attend owing to his being at sea. [There are more mourners listed and a very long list of floral tributes]

10. janetbooth

Brilliant finds Ann. I was trying to find out if Mary Grace could be Jessie's daughter but FMP, especially their Newspapers section, was going at less than snail's pace so in the end I gave up. However, I did find out that Mary Grace's father was a John PASCOE from her the transcription of her marriage record on Ancestry, the marriage taking place in 1930.

Janet

The Artful Dodger and AnnB like this.
  11. The Artful Dodger

All brilliant help ladies and I am much obliged.

Must do some more work but for now I can confirm that H. and C. Collick were probably Hugh jr and Charles sons of Hugh Collick and Thomasine Ann Bray. Thomasine Ann was James K.'s sister

janetbooth and AnnB like this.
  12. janetbooth

Bingo! 1911 census of Camborne, Cornwall:

Jessie BRAY Head 41 Widow Scotland Dundee
    Grace PASCOE Daur 10 Single South Africa
    John James BRAY Son 7mths Cornwall Penzance

All living at Chapel Square.

John James BRAY's birth was registered September qtr 1910 at Penzance reg district, mother's maiden name BROWN. So it seems possible that James Kitto BRAY & Jessie met and perhaps married in South Africa?? Yes they did, as Family Search shows the actual marriage record at Johannesburg on 8 December 1906 between James Kitto BRAY, aged 41, born Brigge, Cornwall, England, Divorced, & Jessie PASCOE (born BROWN), aged 37, born Dundee, Scotland, Widow.

Janet

13. janetbooth

Mary Grace PASCOE's baptism is also on Family Search website, Colin, baptised on 28 July 1900 (born 3 June 1900) at Durban, although they have transcribed the surname as PASCAL, as well as several records regarding the death of John PASCOE on 2 April 1905. Enjoy!

Janet

The Artful Dodger, Chimp and AnnB like this.
  14. AnnB

Oh well done, Janet. I always forget that Family Search is a good place to find South African records :)

15. The Artful Dodger

Some of the extra work was on the siblings of James K. Apart from Thomasine [known as Ann] and Hugh Collick, the others were
    Richard John Kitto m. Anita May Bryant
    Eliza [known as Lily] m. John Bawden
    Richard m. Mary Ann Edwards
    Esther m. James Edward Coak.

Apart from matching these folks to lists of mourners from the newspaper artcles, I don't think I want to pursue them further at this stage of the game.

16. The Artful Dodger

Just curious - why did she refer to herself as a Widow in 1911? Guess I'll never know for sure.

17. janetbooth

Perhaps she thought she was, Colin, as James Kitto was still in South Africa. As you stated previously, UK Incoming Passenger Lists show Mr James BRAY, a Miner, aged 46, coming from Cape Town to Southampton aboard the "Balmoral Castle" returning on 20 April 1912 and presumably communication was somewhat difficult so she may well have not heard from him for some time.

Janet

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  18. The Artful Dodger

Seems logical

janetbooth likes this.