Rebecca Lettney

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by MollyMay, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Rebecca married Thomas Wheatley 24/12/1792 at St Leonards, Shoreditch.
    Banns on Anc and the marriage on England Select Marriages (no image).
    On Anc they give 6 FHL film numbers for the marriage (is this Family Search?)
    On FS there is a link from the marriage to parish records with a different film number to those on Anc. I have looked at the FS images:reading: and they do not seem to bear any relationship to a marriage in Shoreditch:headbang:, they are an alphabetical list of names from the early 1700's most of which look French or Dutch.

That aside, when Rebecca Wheatley dies she is buried in 28/9/1845 at the Wycliffe Congregational church (non conformist), age 71 so an approx yob as 1774.
    Can anyone find a baptism for her?

All I can find is the bap of twins, Ann and Jane Lettney d/o Joseph (a caulker) and Catharine on 12/3/1764 at St. Dunstan Stepney. Rebecca does not use any of these names for her children though:(

2. MollyMay

Justs gone back to the FS image link and found the title page (I thought it was meo_O)
    upload_2019-7-17_19-57-42.png

So no Shoreditch wedding on this film:(

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Is this the one you want?-FHL is Family History Library. Found this image on Anc.

Wheatley -Lettlney marriage.JPG

MollyMay, Chimp and GrannyBarb like this.
  4. MollyMay

Thank you Wendy - I was having a bad day yesterday so how I missed it goodness only knows:oops:.

I thought FHL was something to do with Family Search, thanks for the explanation.

Shame there was not a Lettney witness at the marriage, so no clues as to Rebecca's beginnnings:(

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

It is as you say Molly may. however, is it possible that one of those witnesses link in some where?

I missed something for a while when transcribed as 'Thomton' instead of Thornton. It just didn't show up. :(

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  6. MollyMay

Working on Wendy's thoughts that the witnesses may help in discovering who Rebecca Lettney is, Edward Wheatly is Thomas's brother.

What is the other witnesses surname?
    John Melli ?
    upload_2019-7-18_16-49-58.png

7. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Have you considered this? Date is about right although a long way from London.

Name: Rebecca Jackson Or Lettany
    Baptism Date: 26 Jun 1773
    Baptism Place: Sunderland,Durham,England
    Father: William Jackson
    Mother: Mary Lettany

MollyMay likes this.
  8. MollyMay

Not seen that one @Londoner - thank you it is certainly in the right time frame
    I will see what else I can find on this family.

9. MollyMay

I am revisiting this thread, in the hope that in the interim years that someone might be able to locate something further on Rebecca.
    I have tried to work on the bap that @Londoner found, but the only other information, that might be relevant, is the burial of one Mary Littany, on the NBI 26/6/1773, in Sunderland.
    I am not even convinced that this baptism is my Rebecca, but in the absence of anything else I have to consider it.
    Thomas and Rebecca had the following children - Sarah 1793, Mary 1796, Thomas 1797, Rebecca and William James 1804, Henry 1809, Eliza 1811 and John 1814.

Also if you are really adventurous, I have nothing on Thomas Wheatley other than a bap 12/5/1762 in Aldermary London City s/o Thomas and Elizabeth (d1840)
    I have found a bap of a brother (?) Edward bap 19/8/1754 at Aldermanbury(sic) St Mary. Edward is the witness on the marriage of Thomas to Rebecca.
    There is a likely burial of Edward Wheatley 16/2/1812 at St Bartholomew the Great City of London. Other than that I have nothing.

As far as I have found, there was no child Edward born to Thomas and Rebecca. I have not looked at this family for some time, so there might be more info out there.

10. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I think this could be your Rebecca along with her daughter Sarah in 1841 in Hackney Terrace, South Hackney Piece 699/Book 4/Enumeration District 10/Folio 19/Page 4. Rebecca has an N for 'Where Born' so she could have been born anywhere :(

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  11. MollyMay

At least she had the decency to stay alive for the census, unlike Thomas :rolleyes:
    That does add weight to the Sunderland baptism being her, but it was an awfully long way for an orphan (if indeed the burial was her mother) to go.

Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.