Registered twice

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Daft Bat, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

A baby was born in 1926 and the birth registered twice - but with different names. The district, quarter, volume and page numbers are identical but the names are different.

At first I thought this was twins (the mother's maiden name is the same for both) but have been told that after the baby's birth had been registered the first time, the paternal grandfather objected very strongly (a bit of a martinet) and insisted that different names were used. It seems like this must have happened.

I have been trying to discover how legal this was; how could the Registrar not realise (maybe he thought they were twins? :confused:); are there any other instances of this happening that you know of?

Although not my family, I am very tempted to get a copy of both certificates to see if that sheds any light on the subject but my friend might want to do this as well, so we shall see......

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

So, if there are two registration numbers then she/he has in fact two identities. This could open up a large can of worms.:nailbiting:

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

It has apparently. He is now a pensioner of course but has been known by the second name all of his life and receives his pension under that name. But the family have never known what to call him! :D

Bay Horse and Archie's Mum like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Lucky he is honest...

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I reckon getting both the certificates is the only way to try and solve this :reading:

Daft Bat and Bay Horse like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

This could also happen if different persons registered the name.The father with his strong opinion- he is the father, another-perhaps wife's mother with her preference.
    A cousin had her G,mother's name registered by the husband with the name he wanted, but the child was always known by the name the mother had chosen. Only discovered in recent years when cousin went scouting for info. ;) took a while to find her.

Edit: where was the GRO when needed for earlier times?

7. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

If the reference is identical, right down to the page number, it could be a case of a single registration with alternative names, which then both appear in the index - rather like when a child of unmarried parents is indexed under the surnames of both.

There are provisions for names to be amended after registration, eg if another name is added at baptism, but again, there would still be only one registration (duly amended) rather than a completely fresh entry.

Did this happen in an area where there's a local BMD site? They use their own completely different reference numbers, which (if available) might shed a bit of light on this. I think their numbers usually refer to individual entries, whereas a page number at the GRO can include up to about 10.

Daft Bat, Ma-dotcom and Bay Horse like this.
  8. Daft Bat

Not sure but I will find out.

Thank you! :)

Bay Horse likes this.