Registering a Chapel

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Schnurrbart, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Active Member

I have a reference to a sum of money (5s/7d) in the 1850 accounts of a newly opened Methodist Chapel for "Expense of registering Chapel and going to Wells".
    With whom would the Chapel be registered?

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

:oops:Places Of Worship Act 1855
    The places of worship act 1855 is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which governs the registration and legal recognition of places of worship. It applies only in England and Wales and does not cover the Church of England, that country’s established church, it is exempt from the Acts requirements. Nor does it affect the Church in Wales which remains part of the Anglican Communion although it is no longer the Established Church in Wales. Registration is not compulsory but it gives financial advantages and is also required before a place of worship can be registered as a venue for marriages.
    I’m sure I read that it is registered with the General Registration Office.
    However in reading your enquirey again, you are referring to 1850.:oops:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Chimp likes this.
  3. Schnurrbart

Thanks Sue, but as you say 1850. It being Wells I first thought of the Cathedral, but it doesn't seem to sit quite right with a Methodist Chapel.

4. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

This might refer to Protestant Dissenters' Meeting House Licences. Assuming this is Wells in Somerset, the following items in Somerset Archives look as though they'd be relevant:
    Code:
    https://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/records/D/D/rm

https://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/records/Q/RRW

5. Schnurrbart

Thanks Arthur, worth looking up. Feel a trip to Taunton may be in the offing.

arthurk likes this.
  6. Schnurrbart

Thanks again Arthur, been to Taunton and have found several entries in the records. Initial registrations of Baptist Chapel and the "new" Methodist Church copied. But, my reading of the Places of Religious Worship Act 1812, is that (as it says on the tin) it is the place that is registered and once registered there is no requirement to notify either cessation of use or change of denomination, so the search goes on. Also found that the Authorities did not like "the people called Quakers" and vice versa in spades.

Sis, arthurk and Ma-dotcom like this.