Registration Districts of NSW

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by arthurk, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Bruce K Rhind

Bruce K Rhind New Member

I rang the NSW BDM this morning (29-08-2022) and they do not know why the district is changing from place names to numbers. They said they are still working on it. Looks like they are Valuer Generals numbers
    https://www.valuergeneral.nsw.gov.a..._Sales_Data_File_District_Codes_and_Names.pdf
    In NSW the districts are where the record was recorded not necessarily where the event took place. E.G. the event could have been in Gosford but was registered in Sydney. This is why so many people were registered at Carcoar, NSW (where the early churches were).
    In Victoria the place recorded is where the event took place.
    Regards, Bruce

NeeC, Doug, Sis and 2 others like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not too sure that those numbers are related to Valuer General codes. Parkes VG code is 116 but a death registration from Parkes is 086, (this fellow died in Parkes). Father in law died in Parramatta but his registration is 001 and the VG code is 260. In saying that, he had a court inquest at Westmead coroners court. I guess we will find out sooner or later if they ever print a list of new BDM codes. These new codes seem to be after 1980. Before that districts seem to be named.

Chimp likes this.
  3. Bruce K Rhind

Bruce K Rhind New Member

You are correct the district numbers do not correspond with the Valuer General Codes, my mistake. Hopefully we may have some good news after the below maintenance program. Regards, Bruce
    https://www.nsw.gov.au/family-and-relationships/family-history-search/research-guide
    Scheduled maintenance: Our online services for certificate applications, birth registration and family history search will be unavailable on Tuesday 30 August from 7pm to 9pm.

4. Colin Charman

Colin Charman New Member

Bruce, Thanks for pursuing this. Its probably a lot easier if you live in NSW. I'm reasonably well-versed in the areas where the Charman families lived and died - probably more than half are in district 001 so I'm guessing that must be all or part of Sydney. The valuer-general code 001 is Cessnock - I had to google that as its not a Charman stronghold!

If all else fails, I'll try reverse-engineering a list, starting with the common ones used in my extended familiy's registrations and see if that makes sense. They are in Sydney (of course), Newcastle, Bathurst etc.

5. JustMe

JustMe New Member

Below are the early church codes in case anyone needs them at any point. No numbers in them though.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/family-and-relationships/family-history-search/early-church-codes

I recently had to order my son's birth certificate as a certain husband lost it and there are no number codes as such on it. Just the registration number.

Some family history certs now have a PDF option so you should get it rather quickly I would think. I've not ordered one to I don't know what they look like.

Daft Bat, Chimp and Sis like this.