Related to Sir Harold Gillies...but how?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Flook, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Sir Harold Gillies was born in New Zealand but lived most of his mature years in England. He is known as "the father of plastic surgery".

He and his wife Kathleen M Gillies née Jackson married in London in 1911 but after the 1911 census was taken.

They had 4 children:

John Arthur born 18 August 1912
    Margaret born 31 January 1915
    Joan born 1918
    Michael Thomas born 15 September 1920.

On the 1939 Register at their home at 59 Frognal, Hampstead (easily found if you search for Kathleen Gillies) the only people listed are Kathleen M Gillies, Daphne Muir* and Mary G Gillies, born 18 March 1912, single, teacher of music. I am fairly certain the 2 redacted entries are for Joan Gillies and Michael Thomas Gillies.

I haven't been able to trace Harold Gillies' entry in the Register nor that for Margaret. John Arthur was almost certainly in the RAF or RAAF training to be a pilot. I really don't need to know anything about them at this stage unless they are part of a clue as to who Mary G Gillies is.

So, who is Mary G Gillies? Any ideas?

* Daphne Muir was not related to the Gillies family but was just a family friend.

2. Flook

I've discovered that she is not the wife of John Arthur Gillies as he was married to Eileen Galloway in Liverpool in February 1940.

3. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Could she be the Mary Veronica Gillies, daughter of Percy Edward and Ellen, to be found in NZ BMD?
    I know the middle initial is wrong but...... Did Harold have a brother?

Ma-dotcom and Flook like this.
  4. Flook

Ooh thanks Londoner. I think he had half-brothers at least. I'll have a rootle around.

5. Flook

Well thank you so much Londoner. Harold Delf Gillies was born in 1882 and he had a brother Harry Thomas Gillies born in 1874. Harry married Marcella Irene McLernon in 1908 and they had a daughter Mary Graham Gillies who was born in 1911. All this from New Zealand BDM online.

I think it's pretty clear that this is her. I will do a bit more rummaging around to double check this but I think Londoner has pointed me in absolutely the right direction and that this is her.

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Flook

Just to wrap this up. Flight Officer Mary Graham Gillies married Squadron Leader James Ross Valentine D.F.C. at Bradenham, Buckinghamshire on 22 August 1945. They had one child, Richard, who was born in 1949.

James Valentine reached the rank of Wing Commander and he died on 6th May 1985 in the Tunbridge Wells area of Kent. Mary died in 2006.

Archie's Mum, Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.