Relationships?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Muddy Puddle, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Muddy Puddle

Muddy Puddle Member

A quick question...
    Emily Jane married Cyril in 1914. Sadly, Cyril, a Coldstream Guard was killed in France in 1916.
    Emily went on to marry again after the war and start a family with her 2nd husband John, the great grandfather in the tree I am researching.
    What relationship do I give to poor Cyril for the descendants? Step does not sound right but I really want to give him a title. Not his fault he is lying in France

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I think step father is about the best solution. If Emily had a child with Cyril before he died and then she remarried then the new husband would have been the step father to that child so why not the reverse.....Cyril must be a part of the family as far as I’m concerned.

Muddy Puddle likes this.
  3. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

As there is no direct relationship to the children of the second marriage then there can be no step at all, and poor Cyril should just remain as Emily Jane's 1st husband deceased.

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

My Gran divorced her first husband - my Mum was the result of her second marriage. Arthur has only ever been referred to as Gran's first husband - no relation to Mum.

Just like this.

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I think Muddy Puddle wants to warm it up a bit. Although correct first husband sounded a bit distant.

Muddy Puddle likes this.
  6. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

We sometimes add a "beloved departed" before "first" whatever flavor spouse. This to signify a warm feeling toward them in the family.

7. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

I too think he has to be just the first husband and I think that holds its own as a description to be properly remembered by.

Had Cyril lived there would have been no John or children and I think it takes something away from John that he has to share some sort of relationship with Emily's first husband, especially as he probably never knew him and the children certainly didn't.

Harsh for you, but, as I see it, fair.

8. Muddy Puddle

Muddy Puddle Member

Oh bless him. You are correct, so I shall give him his rightful place as first husband. But I can put a little ❤ beside his name.:)

Eve, GrannyBarb, Dogsday and 7 others like this.
  9. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Perfect.

Muddy Puddle and Dogsday like this.
  10. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

My nans first husband died in WW1 but we have always remembered him and yes he was always known as her 1st husband they had a child and he was only ever known as my mums brother and unfortunately the WW2 took him
    Its hard to know how to put them on our trees but we know who they are

Half Hour, Muddy Puddle and Daft Bat like this.