Removing an Unknown Spouse

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Blackmogs, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Good morrow one and all. I have Family Tree Maker and for some reason one of my grandfathers appears with 2 spouses, one is named and the other is shown as Unknown Spouse. For the life of me I cannot see how to get rid of this. I've tried giving her a name and deleting her, nada. I've tried going to the husband and removing the link but it only allows me to remove a link from any of the named people i.e his proper wife, his parents and any of his children. Grrrrrrrr

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

This probably won't help in the slightest 'cause I don't use Family Tree Maker, but in Family Historian I had the same problem - until I discovered that by right clicking on a person's name when the generations are displayed (I don't really know how else to describe the window I am referring to), you can then delete he or she. Probably not the 'proper' way to do it, but it works for me :D xx

Blackmogs likes this.
  3. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Have you checked that any children have his 'proper' wife as their mother ? If they have Unknown as mother changing this might then remove the unknown spouse.

Ma-dotcom and Blackmogs like this.
  4. Blackmogs

She doesn't have a name, just unknown spouse. If I try to name her, FTM just creates a new person altogether giving him 3 wives lol. I can delete the named one. This one just exists as a fact to him but there is no way of getting at her!

5. Blackmogs

checking now

6. Blackmogs

Oh my! You really are a genius! One of the children was erroneously attached to this unknown and as soon as I detached him she vanished!

{-(^^)-}{-(^^)-}{-(^^)-}{-(^^)-}{-(^^)-}