Richard Grenfell/Granville - private soldier in the Royal Cornwall Militia

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Nick Saunders, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Nick Saunders

Nick Saunders Member

Hello,

I wonder if you can help?

I am currently researching my family tree, my father’s, mother’s side The Grenfell’s/Granvilles. Please see report attached & the passage at the bottom of the report that I have copied below.

I would like to know more information on Richard Grenfell (Granville) about his time in the Royal Cornwall Militia?

Would you be able to help me with this or pass me onto someone that might be able to help?

Going back another generation and we now need to look for a Richard Grenfell born around 1807. Researching back in this period of time we are reliant on parish records as the compulsory registration of births, marriages, and deaths did not start until 1837. There is a baptism of a Richard Grenfell at St Gluvias, Penryn on 12th October, 1804 the son of Richard and Elisabeth.
    Following on from that we found a marriage between Richard Granville and Elizabeth Sedgmond at St Gluvias on 10th July 1804. The record states that Elizabeth is from St Gluvias (otp – of this parish) but Richard is from Sancreed which is a parish just west of Penzance - and so here is a possible link to West Cornwall. It also states that Richard is a private soldier in the Royal Cornwall Militia.

Thanks

Nick

Attached Files:

2. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

There is a lot about the militia reported in the Royal Cornwall Gazette. It seems they were stationed in Falmouth from 1801 until 14 July 1804 when they marched to Exeter, so the marriage was probably arranged just before they left. Elizabeth would most likely have stayed with her family for the birth of Richard jnr.

Nick Saunders and AnnB like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

For information on the Cornwall Militia, have you seen this page from the National Archives web site?
    Code:
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F109894
    You may find something of use there. You could also contact Bodmin Keep, where they house the Cornwall Army Museum
    Code:
    https://bodminkeep.org/

Nick Saunders likes this.
  4. Nick Saunders

Nick Saunders Member

Amazing! Thank you, where can I find this Cornwall Gazzette?

5. Nick Saunders

Nick Saunders Member

Thank you so much.

AnnB likes this.
  6. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

The website British Newspapers Online, or Find My Past, both require subscriptions .