Richard Jose - Transported

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by The Artful Dodger, Jul 8, 2020.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Richard was the middle son of Richard Jose and Sarah Golley and he was/is a 1st cousin 4X removed.
    He was born 9 April 1827 and baptised 16 September 1827 in Feock.
    In the 1851 census he was living in Feock with his older brother William Henry and W.H.'s wife Mary Anne and their 1 week old son. Richard was an Ag. Lab.

I have as yet not found details of his trial for Manslaughter @ Bodmin Assizes on 28 July 1856 which was likely covered in the newspapers of that time. He was convicted and sentenced to Transportation for Life and departed for Western Australia on 18 September 1857, I believe the ship was "City of Nile" and they arrived on or about 1 January 1858.

There are several convict records during 1858 which seem to indicate he was in Fremantle and on 20 December 1858 he was reported sick and was treated for Lumbago but I can find nothing else about his incarceration.

There is a possible marriage in Perth which is approx. 20 miles from Fremantle in 1864 reference 2166/64 to Sarah A. Wilde but after that neither of them seem to surface.

Any help appreciated

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The newspaper reports of the 'murder/manslaughter' do not make easy reading, but this one from the Carlisle Journal of the 8th August 1856 is brief and sums up the story. Let me know if you want to know more :( I'm off to bed now.

Horrible Case of Child Murder—At Bodmin, on Thursday last, Ann Matthews, aged 22, James George, aged 19, and Richard Jose, aged 35, were indicted for the wilful murder of an infant. On the morning of the 27th of March, Matthews was seized with the pains of labour, and she went down into the kitchen, where she delivered herself of a female child. Jose, the father of the child, came down also to the kitchen, and he called to a girl named Barns to come and assist. Jose thrust his finger down the babe's throat, and retained it there for some time, but, as this did not suffice to destroy life, he fetched a large pan, into which he poured a quantity of water, and in it he drowned the child. On the next day Jose and George took the dead body in a basket to a pond near Truro. Jose attached stone to it and threw it into the pond, where it was discovered by a lad who was fishing. A coroner's inquest was held, and a verdict was returned of “Wilful murder against some person or persons unknown.” The name of Matthews soon became involved in the gossip of the neighbourhood, and it was ascertained that she had recently been delivered. In the end Burns was admitted as Queen's evidence, and upon her testimony the prisoners were convicted. The jury found Jose guilty, not of murder, but of manslaughter, George guilty as an accessory after the fact, and Matthews guilty of concealing the birth.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Alice Mary Jose born 1872 West Australia father Richard mother Sarah
    Richard Jose died Age 6 months 1874
    Richard Jose died Age 57 1877
    Will look more closely after brekkie and food shop.
    Cheers...:D

4. Archie's Mum

The Richard Jose transported on the Nile, convict record shows born 1819, married 1 child. He was a tanner and illiterate. Life for manslaughter, Bodmin. Ticket of leave 8/6/1862, conditional pardon 20/8/1866. As he was a lifer he was stuck here forever. Never to return. Not that he would want to as he probably had a reasonably good life. If he behaved himself. That’s all I can find. Nothing on Trove. Although I would have thought there would be more children. From 1864 to 1872 is a big gap before children.

AnnB likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

I’m not sure you have the correct Richard, as in post #2 he was 35 when convicted in 1856 bringing his birth year to around 1820ish.

6. Archie's Mum

It seems little Alice Mary also died in 1874 aged 1 year.

7. Archie's Mum

There is a 37 year old Richard Jose buried at Feock 4/1/1862. The age is out by about 2 years but is a little closer to your Richard. His residence at the time was Chycoose.

8. AnnB

In one of the longer newspaper reports, Richard is said to be a tanner. He was also said to be a married man who had cohabited with Ann Matthews for 10 or 12 months. He was said to have been separated from his wife and children who lived in or near Wadebridge, but he had lived in Truro for 2 or 3 years. In one report he was said to be about 40 years of age, but later in the same report it says he was between 30 and 40 years old - obviously a bit of an unknown quantity.

9. Archie's Mum

What are the names of Richards siblings?
    The reason I ask is that on the 1841 a 14 year old, estimated age, Richard Jose is living at Chychoose, Feock, Truro. Others on the census are 15 year old Elizabeth and 11 year old John. Only having FS to search I cant find the rest of the family just these 3. FS may have left them off, Im not sure. However this seems to be the Richard who died in 1862 at Chychoose. If he had siblings with these names then that could be an answer for you. I also cant find his family on Cornwall OPC.

10. Archie's Mum

Cornwall OPC has the record of Richard Jose as discharged to Millbank Prison. His wifes name was Mary. He was aged 35 and his abode at admission was Blisland late Truro.
    There is a marriage of a Richard Jose to Mary Hancock Grooms father is Richard a farmer, he a labourer but of Dellymear. Also he says he is full age. Married 9 June 1838. The only Richard I can find with father also Richard.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  11. The Artful Dodger

Thank you all for the above posts. It seems that my brain has been well and truly cooked with the several days of temperatures feeling like above 40c.

I'm sorry I sent you all on a wild goose chase:(:mad:o_O.

I'm going to re-read these posts to extract details of my Richard Jose.

Ma-dotcom, AnnB and Archie's Mum like this.
  12. Archie's Mum

Don’t be sorry. It has been an interesting search that’s not over yet. We’ll get him or at least sort it out.
    Sorry too that the heat is affecting you. :(

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  13. The Artful Dodger

My take on Jose family after the death of the father in July 1831.

It would appear that his widow Sarah in 1841 census H0107/147/9/33/14 was living with her son William Henry @ Tregoose, Feock. In 1851 census H0107/1910/829/15 - she is now Sally an Ag. Lab. living with son John [also and Ag. Lab.] @ Chychoose, Feock.
    Then I can't find Sara/Sally in 1861 or 1871. I did find a death in Nov. 1872 followed by a burial in Feock on 24 Nov. for an 82 year Sally resident of Chycoose [sic] which is pretty close as she was baptised as Sarah Golley 26 Dec. 1791 in Gorran.

Of the 3 sons William Henry, Richard and John, William Henry was accounted for in 1841 and in 1851 he was married and had a son also named William Henry and was a Coachman @ Killiganoon, Feock. With him was his brother Richard [an Ag. Lab] and his wife's sister age age. I have his expanding family in 1861 and 1871. His wife died in 1903 and he died in 1908 both in Kea.

John was with his brother Richard and an Elizabeth age 15 in 1841 [see post #9]. In 1851 he was with his mother [see above] In 1st 1857 in Truro R.D. he married Mary Ann Trengove and they lived in Feock in 1861 and 1871 and 1881 Truro and I believe he died in Gwennap where he was buried 6 Feb. 1890. His wife died in Truro and was buried 10 Oct. 1887.

More about Elizabeth later.

Hope this can assist those whom I misled yesterday.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  14. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

1861 census has Sarah and Richard together at Chychoose, Feock
    RG9/1563/65/14
    Transcribed by FMP as JOCE (though the original is JOSE)

Sarah b. 1799 Gwenap (sic) a Charwoman
    Richard (son) b. 1828 Feock a Lighterman

I think they are the household directly above John and his wife Mary Ann

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Ma-dotcom and The Artful Dodger like this.
  15. AnnB

I reckon you should be glad that the Richard who was transported wasn't the one you were looking for.......:nailbiting::D

16. Archie's Mum

Im now wondering how the two babies in West Australia died. :nailbiting:

The Artful Dodger and AnnB like this.
  17. The Artful Dodger

Thanks, Jellylegs. Ancestry has them as JESS

Jellylegs likes this.
  18. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

I did look, but couldn't find Sarah/Sally in 1871 though - assuming that the burial you found in 1872 is her.

Unless this is her in Feock at RG10/2289/39/22

Sarah JOSS b. 1790 (81) Widow - employed at Home? born Gorran

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    The Artful Dodger and Ma-dotcom like this.
  19. The Artful Dodger

Thank you, Jellylegs.
    There are enough similarities to conclude she is my Sarah. Even the residence in Chycoose is where she lived for many years,

20. The Artful Dodger

And now for Elizabeth.
    She was baptised in St. Just in Roseland, Cornwall as Elizabeth White Jose on 23 September 1821. This baptism was one week before the marriage of her parents - Richard Jose and Sarah Golley.

She married Thomas May Pearce in Feock 26 June 1842 and they had at least 6 children. I have the family in each census between 1851 and 1891.
    By the time of their deaths they were living in Redfield, Bristol and were buried there - Thomas on 30 September 1900 and Elizabeth one week later on October 7.

At present I'm not following their children.